Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ox Tails!!

Options
Hoss's BBQ
Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I picked up three whole oxtails for $5 dollars total price!!! SO broke them down into sections. Then I seared at 650 dome temp then right into a dwell for 10 minutes. Removed the tails then placed dutch oven in egg. sauteed of some ginger, garlic, Jalapenos, sliced onions and garlic. add some home made chickent stock, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sambal and some sweet soy sauce. placed the ox tail into dutch oven an cover with mor stock. Braised in egg at 350 dome temp. took about three hours. added Julienne carrots and cashews let cook another 20 minutes and served over rice. Turned oout really better then I thought.
whole tails
Braisedoxtails004.jpg
broken down
Braisedoxtails006.jpg
after the dwell
Braisedoxtails002.jpg
before all the stock
Braisedoxtails2003.jpg
Finished on egg
Braisedoxtails2006.jpg
Plated up
Braisedoxtails2007.jpg

Comments

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    wow, the finished dish looks great! one quick question about rice. how do you cook your rice? I recently bought a rice cooker, for more consistent results, but I find it really over cooks the rice..it's coming out too sticky for me. perhaps it's the type of rice i'm cooking? thanks, bbqdiva
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,
    dang ken, you are my kinda egger!!! ...and i think that's the first time i've ever seen a whole ox tail like that. . .i only see them already in pieces at the stores up here. .. .i LOVE ox tail stew. ..here is a link to how i've done it. .. .little simpler, but i sure do like some of your ingredients. . .yours sounds like it has a bit of an oriental kick to it. . ..great stuff!!

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/188479.htm[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    ok, i just spewed!!!! . ...i wasn't ready for that this early in the morning!! . .i figured you were still shaving your back this time of the day, and for at least an hour...

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Ahhhhh, this is what I've been missing, rofl :-)

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,
    Interesting cook, always like something different and your oxtails Chinese style are just that. Nice work.
    Clay

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That looked great!! I like classical stews yet we make them at work so much thta I really like to use asian flavors for dishes at home. I have also done the oxtails with a green thai curry as the base for the braising liquid! Loved the smoke on these tails balanced very well with the asian flavors.

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    I'm a big man yet just couldn't get my mouth around them had to cut them up!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ ,[p] You ought to try Jamaican Oxtail and Bean Stew.. Yummm.
    Or the jamaican oxtail stew.. no beans but it has a hint of the Allspice.. Yummm too...[p]

• Hoss's BBQ ,
    Ox-tails...the OTHER OTHER red meat. Seriously, one of the most flavorful and overlooked cuts for a good stew. I occasionally eat the meat, but to be frank I tend to use them for beef stock (awesome)--that picture in the dutch oven is mouthwatering--or soup after they've boiled down virtually to bare bone and the stock has been strained through cheesecloth.[p]Anyway, good on ya![p]Hank