Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Sauce- any recommendations?

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've made a few pizzas on the egg and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to mess them up! (Famous last words)[p]I've been using Bertoli (sausage) for my sauce and the last time there were a few complaints. It came out fine, it's just one kid thought it was too spicy and of course when my wife found out there was sausage in the sauce I got the "Oh, THAT'S what I didn't like!"[p]So I'm interested in trying something else anyway, they just helped move me along. Does anyone have any recommendations for off-the-shelf sauces that are good?[p]I had this excellent chicken and broccoli pizza with a (garlic) white sauce that I'd like to try and emulate - has anyone tried anything like this that they would recommend?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    off the shelf sauce? no I don't but for 5 years now I've made my own twists to Spin's basic sauce recipe that we dearly love. While it may sound time consuming or a lot of effort it is really worth it. Now for the secret...I make it in such a quantity and then freeze individual servings so I make enough for 12 pizzas at a time. Then since I time the preparation to the summer months I'm using fresh "home grown" tomatoes and other spices so the sauce is all that much better. And then one last secret...after the individual packets are frozen I use a Food Saver and seal several of them together for later opening! You'd be surprised out good and "fresh" tasting and smelling those sauces are even months after being created!

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Check out the Pennsylvania-Style Pizza Sauce recipe or the Roberto's Mama Mia Pizza Sauce recipe. I was extremely picky about my sauces and tried many until I found these two. The key is that they are made from tomato paste rather than tomato sauce. I never would have guessed.[p]Ottawa_egger
    [ul][li]World's greatest pizza sauce recipes[/ul]
  • George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Flashback Bob, try to find a can of Pastorelli brand pizza sauce. They are in Chicago, but they supply out-of-state. I had to have a case shipped to Denver because they have no dealers in CO. It was recommended by someone on this forum, and is the best I've used, so far.[p]
    [ul][li]Pastorelli Pizza Sauce[/ul]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Don Pepino is a great off the shelf sauce. Their spagetti sauce ain't too shabby either.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Don Pepino[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I use a small can of sauce and a small can of paste to give me that thick pizza sauce consistency I want. I then spice it up with garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, basil, sage, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

• dhuffjr,
    i used a can of tomato sauce and some pesto the couple of times i've attempted pizza. i was going to try some mamma disalvo's sauce next time..

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    a lot of good info here! I'm wading through all the info and will be keeping my eyes open. [p]I'll definitely try making my own. I can always freeze some for later.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    Damm, That's a good site!
    Thanks for the recommendation!

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I have several sauces that I use on pizza but the one that people really seem to like is one that is so simple....[p]I buy a can of crushed toms....I buy the best I can get my hands on..(usually 6 in 1 and I order them but any good can at the store. I would stay away from Hunts)[p]Now I open the can and see how much water is in the can ..a good can should be just crushed tomatoes. Then I dump them in my can into a food processor and give it a spin. I look at sauce to see how thick it is if is too thing I add some paste. Then I add a little dried oregano a little sea salt and I am done...[p]I know this sounds simple but if you look around at some of the old pizza places in NY, they don't cook theirs. Now keep in mind that most crushed tomatoe cans are cooked..Unless you get 6in1,San Marzano (there are several brands),Cento all these aren't cooked they use a special process to concentrate the tomatoes...[p]Give it a try...add some diffrent herbs...if you don't like it you can always cook it..[p]The great thing about a simple sauce is it lets the flavor of your toppings come through..[p]Another secret is using some munster cheese...mixed with provolone and motz
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I really like alfredo sauce. That with capacola and/or sausage is a nice change of pace from red sauce.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Here's a forum I like to read.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Flashback Bob,[p]I made a pulled pork pizza using left over pulled pork + Elder Ward's Western North Carolina (Piedmont) style sauce on the crust, it was tasty and has a nice kick! :)[p]Waruwaru
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/NCpulledPork.htm[/ul]