Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger Marinade? (soy...lemon...)

EGGOMANIAC
EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, need quick help and didn't readily see the recipe. What's the marinade for the hanger steak (Chris' I think). I know it's soy, lemon (I think). I'm going to use it on a flat iron steak with a new tenderizer thingy-any objections?

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    EGGOMANIAC,[p]Is this the one you are seeking?[p]Marinade, Beef, Roast, Oyster Sauce, Nature Boy

Oyster sauce and beef go together like cheese and pizza, so I came up with this marinade. I used it on London Broil, but it would be probably good on many cuts of beef.Maybe add some Guiness Stout to the marinade.
    [p]Ingredients:
    4 oz Chinese Oyster Sauce
    4 Tbs Soy Sauce
    2 Tbs Dark Molasses
    2 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    1 tsp or more Wet Jerk Seasoning (eg. Walkerswood, Eatons, Mrs. Dog's, Island Pit)
    1 tsp cracked black pepper

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix all ingredients well.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 I used it on a 2 pound top-round (london broil), marinating it overnight, and grilling at 450 for 6 minutes a side. Sliced thin accross the grain and served with grilled shrooms (marinated in the same marinade...thanks BD) and jasmine rice.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Try it and please let me know what you think....or any suggestions for improving.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Author: Nature Boy capell@erols.com[p]Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy

• Richard,[p]Thanks Richard for responding. That's close to it but not exactly. I think I need to find the eggfest ATL 06 recipes again-that's where I had it. The one interesting thing about the one above is that I had no idea Mrs Dog made a wet jerk seasoning.
  • AHA! Found it - how bout soy n shallot? I'm adding more and will report back[p]Grilled Marinated Hanger Steak
    Eggtoberfest 06
    What you will need
    1 Hanger Steak (you need to find a butcher that will get them
    for you)
    1 shallot
    Soy sauce
    Take the hanger steak and tenderize it with a jaccard (tool with many sharp pointed
    blades, or you can simply use a sharp pointed knife)
    Finely chop shallot. Put steak, chopped shallot, and about 1/3 cup of soy sauce into a
    plastic zip lock bag. Let marinade for a few hours (all day is fine or 1 hour is ok).
    Remove from marinade, pat dry, the grill direct at 500 degrees till done (I like it around
    130 internal at the thickest part). Remove from egg, let stand a few minutes, then slice
    thinly down the long side of the steak. Be careful to remove the tough piece of gristle
    that separate the steak into two halves.
    Recipe Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome (Max Rosen)

• EGGOMANIAC,
    keep it simple. .. the hanger steak marinade recommended by anthony bourdain (and seconded by me for what its worth), is simple soy sauce with finely chopped shallots and/or garlic. . .nothing more. . .when ready to grill, pat the steak dry, then season with some salt and pepper (a little dizzy raising the steaks is fantastic). ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks Max - I went with soy, pepper, garlic (2) and a little Soy Vay.[p]EOM
  • EGGOMANIAC,
    sounds good!! ... can't wait to hear/see the results. ..
    btw.. . what is "soy vay". ..i've heard it mentioned before, but i'm not sure i've ever seen any. .[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Soy Vay is a brand. http://www.soyvay.com/[p]The Veri Veri and Island (first two) are the only ones I've tried and are veri veri~ good (look at the fresh garlic in there). Best I've come across - great on wings, breasts, tuna, broccoli, asparagus, stir fry & fajitas with lime n cilantro.