Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya? Also a rice question for the experts.

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks - [p]Anybody out there got a tried and true recipe for really good jambalaya? I picked up some delicious andouille from my local butcher. I'm considering cooking my chicken thighs on the egg, possibly with some light pecan smoke, before adding to the pot.[p]Also, I ordered some Carolina Gold rice from Anson Mills. I'm a little worried it might be a bit starchy for a good jambalaya - think it would be too sticky? Should I stick with a long grain?[p]Thanks for any suggestions![p]CBW

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Where'd you get your Carolina Gold - direct from Anson Mills? I'd like to try some myself, but don't know where to find it.[p]Ken "any rice is good rice" Stone

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I ordered direct from Anson Mills this time - www.ansonmills.com - their shipping price seemed high to me, though. Definitely get some of their coarse ground grits too if you're going to order - even if you don't eat grits regularly, I recommend them. My wife is from Georgia and grew up on grits and she thinks they're the best she's ever had. I have also ordered from zingermans.com - - can't tell you as I sit here which is the better price.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Got this one from Black when he catered a bicycle rally I attended some years ago. He's about as Cajun as it gets. I've cooked it many times, and found it good. It uses pork instead of chicken though.
    Bob
    @ Now You're Cooking! Export Format[p]Pork And Sausage Jambalaya Ala Blacky Breaux[p]cajun[p]2 lbs pork; cubed
    1 lb smoked sausage
    3 cups long grain rice
    1 cup water
    4 medium onions; chopped fine
    2 teaspoons granulated garlic
    1/4 cup green onions; chopped
    1/4 medium bell pepper; chopped
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons lousiana hot sauce[p]Fry pork and sausage with 1/2 cup water until dark brown. Remove fat
    leaving just enough fat to cover the bottom of the pot. Add onions and
    cook with pork and sausage until onions are dark brown. Add 1/2 cup of
    water and then put in the bell peppers and green onions and let simmer
    uncovered for about 10 minutes. Then add 5 cups of water and rmaining
    seasoning (or season to taste) and bring to a hard boil. Add rice and stri
    so that the rice does not stick in the bottom of the pot. As water
    thickens turn fire down low. Let sit like this for about 15 minutes and
    then stir rice. Do not stir. Cover and let it sit for about 10 more
    minutes and by this time your Jambalaya should be ready to eat.[p]Hints for inexperienced Jambalaya cooks:
    After the water is cooked out of the rice, Jambalaya should never be
    stirred. Turn rather than stirring. This prevents the grains of rice from
    breaking up. Most Jambalaya cooks go all the way from the bottom of the
    pot and turn one time.[p]Jambalaya is more tasty if slightly highly seasoned, so don't forget the
    seasoning. When adding salt, water should taste a little too salty as rice
    will absorb considerable salt.[p]Charles "Black" Breaux, 1984 World Champion Jambalaya Cook
    2011 S. Gaudin Ave.
    Gonzales, LA 70737
    (504) 644-5166[p]
    ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.74 **

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01568a-1.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,[p]Don't know if you have tried this "Popcorn Rice" or not. Richard turned me on the this brand.[p]I've also been putting the hurt on this season's wild rice.[p]DSC01522a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    bobbyb,
    Thanks Bob - looks great!

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Note that it's actually 6 cups water. [p]This is a good Lafayette-style brown jambalaya (as opposed to the 'reds' that have tomato). Feel free to monkey with it a bit, it'll be good. Mine has a bit more bell pepper (traded off with a little less onion), and I use chicken stock instead of water. And you can sub out some pork for chicken or duck or shrimp. This is a great base recipe.[p]Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to smoke the chicken on the egg. I think the subtle pecan nuances will get washed out. But dark chicken meat is great in jambalaya.[p]I am contemplating cooking my next batch of jambalaya on the egg in an iron dutch oven though. And letting the smoke seep into the veges & meat before you lock it down.