Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a suggestion about cooking tandoori chicken? How hot do you get the egg? I cook the chicken in pieces, How long do you cook them?[p]Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Jane Villa,[p]I've been working at tandoori chicken, and while not entirely satisfied with my results, I've had some pretty good meals. Of the methods I've tried, what follows is the way that was best to me.[p]I've found that a 24 hour marinade with the pieces pricked all over seems to help. Shorter marinades don't seem to add much. Along with the spices, I use yogurt, not buttermilk. I put the pieces on the grill with a fair amount of the marinade left on.[p]hope this helps,
    gdenby[p]Traditional tandoors cook at +700 degrees. Although the Egg will do that I havn't tried. Some of the local restaurants offer tanoori chicken that is somewhat scorched, and I'm trying to avoid that. So I've been doing the chicken in the 550 range, direct, on a raised grill. I let the temp stay there for at least 10 minutes before starting the chicken. The amount of time to finish varies depending on how close to room temperature the pieces were at the start, and if they are bone-in. I've reached cooked temperature for boneless thighs in a little less than 25 minutes, with at least one turn-over to even out the heating, and to move pieces around to avoid hot spots. By 175 internal, the edges of the pieces are a little crisp, and there are some nice grill marks.[p]I haven't yet found a source for the bright magenta color, which seems to come from a ground root.