Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spare ribs questions

Mayberry SmokerMayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited 7:31PM in EggHead Forum
Going to fix spare ribs this Sat. There will be me and my wife, 2 teenage boys and ones girlfriend. My wife and the girlfriend probably won't eat to much and my youngest son won't eat a lot but my oldest son could eat a horse and chase it's rider so I was wondering how many slabs to fix. Are leftover ribs very good, if so how many slabs to fill a lg up. I have 2 Weber type rib racks to use. Are rib cooks very predictable as far as time goes, if we want to eat supper at 6 what time should I put them on. Are there any other things I need to know. I've read a bunch of the rib post before so I have a half way idea of what to do. Thanks.

Comments

• Mayberry Smoker,
    Spares go 6 hours IN the Egg.[p]Prep work:
    Put your ribs on a cutting board, bones up.
    Peal the membrane off the back.
    Cover both sides with your favorite rub and work in a bit.
    Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator 24 hours, or at the very least, overnight.[p]
    Cooking:
    Remove from the refrigerator and place on the cutting board again while you prep your Egg, 225 grid temp (250 dome), indirect with a drip pan.
    3 - Put the ribs in the Egg, meat side up, for three hours.
    2 - Wrap the ribs in heavy foil; add about 2 ounces of liquid – apple cider, or apple cider and apple cider vinegar are popular, seal the foil and place back in the Egg, bone side up, for 2 hours (1 hour for BBs).
    1 – Unwrap the ribs and place them back in the Egg, meat side up, for 1 hour to firm up. If you are serving them wet, mop with sauce at 30 minutes and again at 15 minutes before removing.