Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Indirect Setup Needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’ve been using a pizza stone for indirect cooking, and it works OK but my cooks seem to be taking too long. Last weekend I cooked a 3.4 lb butt and it took 12 hours with the dome temperature at 250-275F. I had a similar experience with a brisket and ribs. I’ve just been setting the pizza stone on the grill, and then I put the butt on a V-rack with a drip pan under it. I think there are two problems. First, I think my pizza stone is too big. I have a large BGE, and the stone is 16 inches dia. That doesn’t leave much room for the fire’s exhaust, though it seems to burn just fine. I think the second problem is that the pizza stone I have came with an aluminum heat shield to prevent it from cracking. The stone just sits in the shield. I’m thinking the shield reflects a lot of heat right back down into the fire box. [p]I’m considering just buying a plate setter, but wanted to see if anybody has some better advice. Maybe instead I should just learn to be more patient, but most of what I’ve read on the forum suggests others are only cooking about 2 hours per pound to get a butt to 195F. I’ve also seen several setups that use fire bricks, and some using a second grill and other clever setups. The end result I've been getting has been good, but my ability to judge the cooking time is lacking. Can anyone set me straight on this?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Carl P,
    have you calibrated your thermometer? ... all else sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. .. i'm betting that pizza stone, even with the alminum piece isn't equal to a plate setter in terms of total mass. . ..

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Carl P,
    people want to see a rule of time verse pounds of meat, but that does not work for pulled pork, ribs, briskets, pulled beef. those meats need to be cooked a long time regardless of their size. that big pizza stone will cost you money in the long run, it takes a bigger fire below to maintain low temps above then a smaller stone would need. most of my indirect cooks are done with a few fire bricks and a 13.5 inch diameter paella pan. ive never had a need for a platesetter, but they work for many folks, they would add more heat mass for cooking breads etc at higher temps, but i really cant see their worth for lower temp cooks. you do want a second grill, cooking up higher in the dome is better IMHO

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    plus, a dome temp of 250 is a dome temp of 250.[p]even if the draft were affected by the size, or the heat were being deflected by the metal backing, all that becomes moot when the dome eventually gets to 250. though the draft shouldn't be affected, since the area around the grate that's open is certainly larger than the top or lower vent openings, and so they'd still be the limiting factor w/r/t draft...[p]maybe though his grate temp differential is much lower because of this set up than it usually is. [p]if the heat fed into the dome is out closer to the edges because of the pizza stone diameter, it might not be making any convective 'loops' into the dome, but just kinda flowing in a laminar fashion up the sides of the dome and out. that would give you a 250 dome temp, but relatively colder than usual temp at the top of the stone.[p]since that can already be a typical 25/30 difference, it might be 50-75 in this case. taking a 250 dome temp down to a grate temp of 200 or maybe even lower.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Carl P, there are a number of methods available to accomplish a raised or multi-level cook. Fire bricks, bolts, platesetter or metal legs are just a few of the set-ups available. Here are a couple points, I considered when deciding on a set-up. [p]1. The rig needs to have multi-level capabilities - big enough to handle large cooks,
    2. Since it is multi-level, it must also not interfere with direct grilling. A one dimensional rig is no good.
    3. It needs to store easily, preferably in the egg. If it stores in the egg, then I know where it is!
    4. It needs to be easy and quick to set up. The last thing I want is a hassle on the front end of a cook.
    5. It needs to be easy to use. The faster I can get in and out of an egg during a cook, the better the cook will be.
    6. Other than the indirect piece, it must not limit air movement. This reduces the potential for hot or cold spots during the cook.
    7. It must not need cleaning. I’m too lazy to clean after cooking.[p]You might consider all set-up options and figure out what works best for you. There are a bunch of folks on this board using all the methods mentioned above. So if you have more questions, somebody should have the answer. [p]Your set-up with the pizza stone will work. I think you just need pratice managing the temperature with that set-up.[p]Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carl P,[p]i had the same exact dilemma, and here's what i settled on, and it's been working great for me. I got Sandbagger's famous "Spider" and "Woo-Ring" devices that enable me to do indirect cooking without the use of a platesetter.[p]The Spider is just a center metal ring with 5 metal arms that sorta just sit on the divets at the top of the fire-ring. On top of the Spider, i put a 14" cast iron lid, which i got for around $15. Definately don't go any bigger than 14" if you have a large BGE, since you don't want to inhibit airflow. [p]Then, i use the Woo-Ring, which is just a big metal ring that sits on top of the firering, and elevates my regular grid to the felt line. i just put the food on top of this grate and cook. you could also stack more food on top of this grid by using a smaller grid that sits up on bricks, or is just elevated by using bolts and screws, etc. again, it depends on what's being cooked. [p]Sometimes, i'll place a drip pan inbetween the cast iron lid and the grid (at the felt line), depending on what's being cooked. When i do this, i make sure to flip the cast iron lid over, so that it's handle is pointing down, and i can place the drip pan on the flat side of the lid. when i'm not using a drip pan, i just leave the cast iron lid with the handle facing up, so that i can lift it out easily for the next cook, or even for the same cook, such as when i do ribs indirect for 4 or 5 hours, and then want to finish caramelzing the sauce over direct heat. i use the Stanley WonderBar to lift the cast iron lid out (and if you have the cast iron 18" grate, it'll lift that up perfectly on that as well).[p]the best part is that all of these contraptions fit nicely into the egg when the cook is over. when i'm doing a steak or a direct cook, all of these things just sit on the floor, waiting patiently, until the cook is over, and once it is, i just put everythign back in order: first the Spider, then the cast iron lid, then the Woo-Ring, and then the regular grid. i actually have a smaller 15" cast iron grid that i sometimes use to get the food closer to the coals. i just put the smaller grid right on top of the Spider, and i can do a TRex type sear with a lot less charcoal. [p]this "poor man's platesetter" turns out great ribs, and other indirect cooks. word of advice though on the ribs, is that the ends will burn b/c the 14" cast iron lid lets some direct heat through. instead of trying to restrict airflow and get a bigger lid, i just foil the ends of the ribs. [p]
  • tjv,[p]Thanks Tom. Those are all great points that I'll consider, and I haven't yet ruled out sticking with the pizza stone.[p]Carl
  • KaiserSoze,[p]I'm envious of your contraption, but except for the lid I'm not sure I'm capable of constructing something like that. However, I will keep this info as a possible option to experiment with in the future.[p]thanks,[p]Carl P
  • fishlessman,[p]Appreciate the advice.[p]thanks,[p]Carl P
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Carl P,
    I would caution you on using that stone for pizza. I fried my gasket the first time I used one. I went to a 14" one and haven't had any problems since. The 16" one forces to much heat to the gasket at higher (pizza) temps. Look at the gasket in the upper left side. -RP

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The dome thermometer is calibrated, and if anything reads a few degrees low. Meat probe is a Thermoworks which reads the exact same temp as my Thermopen in boiling water. The problem is elsewhere.[p]thanks,[p]Carl P
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    KaiserSoze, thanks I am glad you like the set-up. [p]Tom,
    aka old Sandbagger

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike,[p]I have not checked the temp at the grill, which I no doubt should and will do during my next cook. But I think your theory on the heat flow is correct.[p]thanks,[p]Carl P
  • AZRP,[p]Wow! I haven't made pizza on it yet in the BGE as I bought it a few years ago for a gas grill. But thanks for the warning. I like my felt gasket.[p]Carl P
  • Carl P,[p]believe me, i couldn't have built those things either. just contact Sandbagger. his stuff is GREAT and so are his prices. i tell ya, some of his ideas should come standard with every BGE.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Is that parchment paper under your 'za? What's the purpose in using that (presumably for a non-sick surface) and how does it work?[p]Ottawa_egger
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    Yes it is, parchment paper is insurance against the pizza sticking to the peel. I like to use it for bread also because you can let the loaf rise right on the peel then slide it right off on the stone without deflating it. -RP