Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chickendumplings

Options
onelegchef
onelegchef Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
guys and dolls need some help, trying to find a dumpling recipe that is a little heavy, not like taking can biscuits or tortillas. grandmother use to make them but i do not have recipe.
thanks for the help.
Bobby FTW,TX

Comments

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    onelegchef,[p]I'm on the road right now but can send you my grandmother's recipe if you'll send me an email to remind me.[p]John
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    onelegchef,[p]I've always made my dumplings with Bisquick. The recipe is on the side of the box.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    onelegchef,
    This recipe sounds like what my Grandmother used to make. I think it is very close to what you are looking for. [p]
    Good luck with it.
    later,
    ron.[p]

[ul][li]Chicken and Dumplins[/ul]
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    JM3,[p]Please, please post it for us all![p]My grandmother, who came to California after a life on the farm in Nebraska, made the greatest C&D ever. Her recipe was not preserved (likely she never wrote it down for her daughters).[p]DD
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Will do. I don't get home until tomorrow night though. I was lucky while my wife and I were engaged we visited my grandmother and my wife copied her recipe cards and when she died we got several more recipes in the china cabinet she left to us.[p]John
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    JM3,[p]I'll look forward to your posting.[p]DD
  • Hubielee
    Options
    onelegchef,
    Perhaps the best "comfort food" ever. Let us know what you settle on.

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    onelegchef,
    Here is the one my brother swears by. It's quick and simple.[p]Take 4 chicken breast and put them into boiling water, add seasonings (salt, pepper, nature's seasoning) and 4 bullion cubes. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle. Remove chicken breast from pot. Put two cups of broth to the side.

Take two or three cups of flour and put that into a bowl. Start adding the two cups of broth to the flour as it is being mixed by hand. Knead (sp) the mixture as the broth is added. You want the dough mixture so it doesn't stick to your fingers. Either add more flower or more broth.

Take the dough and roll it out to desired thickness (3/8", less than a 1/4"), depending on how thick you like your dumplings. Take a pizza cutter and slice in 2" cubes, or your desired size.

Take two forks and pull the chicken, shredding it. Set chicken to the side.

Bring the remaining broth to rolling boil, start adding the dumplings a few at a time so you don't cool the broth too much. Once the dumplings start to float, reduce to warm and add the shredded chicken. The longer it sits on warm, the better it is.

Enjoy

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    DUMPLINGS:

2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 tsp. baking powder
    3 tbsp. Crisco
    3/4 c. milk

To make dumplings, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
    Cut Crisco into flour mixture using pastry blender or table knife until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
    Add milk to make soft dough.
    Drop by tablespoon into hot chicken broth mixture.
    Cover and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes.
    Do not remove lid until dumplings are done.
  • onelegchef,[p]Randy and I each have different versions of our chicken n dumplings. I grew up in the south...so here's my version.
    Sorry no exact measurements....just by look and taste.[p]1 whole cut up chicken
    salt
    pepper
    self rising flour[p]I cook the chicken with salt and pepper added. Debone and set aside. I then take some of the broth and use it to mix in with the flour forming a dough. Roll out dough to desired thickness....not sure..about 1/8 inch??? and cut into strips. Don't worry about dried flour on strips,it'll make the broth thicken. Bring your chicken broth back to a boil. Drop in your dumplins to make one layer over broth, sprinkle pepper, bring to boil again, add another layer with pepper, etc. After adding all the dumplins, put your chicken back in. Let simmer til thickened.[p]I've never written down the recipe, this is what I observed as watching my grandmothers cook many years ago.[p]Enjoy.[p]Kim

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    onelegchef,
    According to Alton Brown, the southern style rolled out flat dumplings are not dumplings at all, they are noodles. These are dumplings. -RP

[ul][li]Drop dumplings[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    onelegchef,
    Bisquick and water

• onelegchef
    Options
    onelegchef,
    Thanks all, will have to try them all. tuff job but someone has to do it/ will report back a in a couple of months.
    Bobby-FTW,TX