Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips/guidance/link re: BBQ Chicken "Parts"

Options
Beauty and the Brisket
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried and was very pleased with the beer can chicken last weekend.[p]Now looking to add some proper BBQ chicken to my "excellent" ribs. (My wifes quote!!!) Not sure if going with parts or whole chicken (cut up after cooked). My assumption is that parts will have more flavor potential as the rub/seasonings will have greater surface area.[p]Anybody point me in the right direction?

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Beauty and the Brisket,
    Try the spatchcock chicken. Simple and very tasty;

olegrandad011.jpg[p]
    [p]There are plenty of how to's here. This one was at 350 direct, flipped a few times, and checked for internal of 165 before pulling.
  • ronbeaux,
    that things got bigger thighs than carl lewis!

• Yo Beauty and the Brisket,[p]That's a pretty open ended question so I will answer with my thoughts on it. First off chicken is a forgiving hunk of dead critter flesh that can only be made more to be more gooder with with your own preferences (that's a nice way of saying it's like a canvas ready to be defiled by some artist type). So go ahead and try whatever you like, odds are it will be decent.[p]When I compete, I rest the bird flu hunks of meat in italian dressing overnight. In the morning I dry it, rub it then cook at 300 f. until the dark pieces are hitting about 170. Slap on some sauce and it's done. It tastes okay and I have done decent with it that way and I usually get a lot of compliments for it but it is not how I eat it at home. [p]At home, I don't worry too much about the cooking temp as long as it over about 275 and less than 400. I just keep a closer eye on it so that I don't have to worry about any scorching. And no overnight swim in salad stuff, just a quick rub with whatever sounds good.[p]Then again cooking for me is just as important as the meal itself. So I guess that my advice is to relax and well, wing it (no pun intended). Get a friend to stand out there with and pound a couple of beverages.[p]
    I will say that a fresh sprig of rosemary used as a basting brush for the sauce certainly changes the taste of the finished product, so you might want to give it a try. I know that I certainly like it.[p]Icy Cold Busch Lights to ya,
    Matt.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Beauty and the Brisket,[p]I like the presentation of whole birds but I am too particular when it comes to doneness and moistness to cook them whole. White and dark meat are completely different when it comes to fat content, texture and flavor so I cook them differently. [p]The standard 8 piece butchering works fine for me as do leg/thigh quarters or full breasts. I even do half birds but I butcher them into a dark half and a white half, not splitting them down their central axis.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    6aa97911.jpg
    <p />Beauty and the Brisket,
    i find it harder to get good results when cooking all the parts, its much easier to cook all wings, all thighs, all breasts etc. thighs are probably the easiest, and i do them every weekend throughout the summer. raised grill direct fits about 15-18 thighs, only fill the lump till just over the holes in the fire box to increase the distance of meat to fire, cook at 275 til the skin gets crunchy and go by that over internal temps as thighs can cook to internals of 200 and still stay moist.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it