Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon ready to go on the Egg!!!

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0014.jpg
<p />Here's a pic of the salmon fillets before I tossed them on my egg last night. From left to right: plain, DP Swamp Venom, and DP Raging River. You can't really tell from the picture, but those fillets are a solid 1" thick all around - a nice cut for even cooking. Unfortunately I lack the discipline for a post cook shot!!![p]The cutting board is an end grain mesquite board I bought off a guy in TX who does these as a hobby (saw it on eBay). Class A workmanship. It was so beautiful compared to my last board I couldn't cut on it for two weeks as I admired it!!![p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• TheStormyDOg
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    Looks great hope the end results tasted as good...

• 10feb07-002.jpg
    <p />Ottawa_egger,
    hey! looks like everyone was having salmon last night!
    is that an alder board? is it used or did you put olive oil on it?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Always lagging behind the trendier cooks, I'm planking some salmon tonight. I'm thinking some pasta shells with a crab/mushroom sauce for a side. Heavy on the crab. Did I mention .... the crab?[p]Say, what's up with that abrupt change in thickness in your fillet? Will you remove the thin section earlier?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    that might be an optical delusion...
    it's actually two fillets with their thicker ends in the middle. i pulled everything together, same cook time for all as well. some of the bacon on the left side of the board got a little black, but it just made for another flavor layer!

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]It's about the 5th time I've used that board. I give it a good scrub after every use. I'm not sure if the planks are intended for single-use only, but I've had good results with reusing the boards so I will continue until I either get deathly ill or hit the charred side of the board.[p]It just looks really slick because this one had a multi-hour soaking. Typically I forget to soak until it's time to toss the salmon on, so this time I gave it a good soaking. I found the flavour somewhat muted to my planked salmon in the past so maybe I soaked it too long.[p]I cooked it using the grid extender like you. However, unlike you, it was pushing 0 degrees F outside. Nonetheless the results were perfect.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    Man!, you guys!! I'm glad my wife's not lurking...I'd be planking salmon for sure! Very nice pics.[p]Mike