Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alaskan Halibut

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is at the Costco in our area once again. Beautiful 1 inch thick white filets. Just made up a paste (with help from the twins) and am about ready to slather it on. Will grill on the large at 400, and serve with a coconut milk/lime juice-based sauce and steamed broccoli. yum.[p]They also had some great looking icelandic cod that I grabbed. Nothin like good fish.[p]Best of the middle of the week to yall.
9 days til Cap'n Billy's.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Likewise. We like to call it Hump Day. Because once you're through Wednesday, you're over the hump.
    Cheers,
    G.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Fish sure sounds good. My folks are back from FL and they brought back a good load of fish for me. I have about 2 dozen spanish mackerel in the freezer as well as about 40 pounds of Cobia fillets (2 fillets @ 20 pounds each). They caught a nice one this trip, a 97.8 pounder, thats a whale. Good fight but the fisherman won out this time. They also lost another one that was about as big, they were guessing 70 pounds or so. They also caught a 68 pounder this trip as well. Cobia season has been good so far and my freezer is much better for it.[p]SO, Spanish Mackerel on tap this weekend, they are just cleaned right now, headed and gutted. Plan on stuffing a couple of them with a nice stuffing then grilling direct. The cobia will get a nice seafood rub and a butter and lemon juice and spice marinade during the cook. Should be good.[p]Good luck with the Halibut and Cod, that sounds good. Let me know how it comes out as I may want to try that recipe of yours on some of this fish that I have. Heavens know that I have enough to 'speriment with.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    I cannot even imagine a 20 pound filet! You have some good eating coming your way.[p]The Halibut was perfect! Cooked on a slightly elevated grate on the large. 400-450 for about 7 minutes a side.A nice crust of brown, and moist flaky and bright white on the inside. Made up a sauce wih sauteed onions, chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice and some of the rub that I used in the paste for the fish. We spooned the sauce over the fish...and the broccoli for that matter. The fish had a nice texture...very slightly meaty (not like swordfish...but with a tad of chew). [p]Enjoy your sperimenation!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the ingredients, sounds like a winner. There is nothing like fresh fish on the egg. It has the most deicate flavor and texture, quite a treat.[p]Congrats on the fish. Did the twins like it? I was amazed that the first time I cooked red snapper on the egg my son devoured it!!! I thought I would need to have some standby fish sticks or something but he LOVED the snapper, my daughter is getting a flavor for fish also. Must be something in the fish that attracts the kids, not sure but I'm glad that they like it.[p]Have a great Thursday.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Howdy! Hard to say what the twins like. Well it is easy to say that macoroni and cheese as well as ravioli are high on the list. They have been a bit difficult at dinner lately. Thinking of hiding the snacks. They tend to chow heavily on teddy grahams and slices of kraft cheese after school....and sneaking more while I am working downstairs. Yesterday I asked Kara why she wasn't eating her dinner....well, she was honest "I ate too many Teddy Grahams!".[p]Bananas after school today!!
    Great thursday back atcha.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]HAAAAAAAAAAhh, I was going to ask you how you keep them hungry for dinner as my 4 year old son is a snack hound also. He hits the door and is ready for something. Like he hasnt eaten all day at school. I at least know that I'm not alone in the fight against after school snacking.[p]Fish sticks, mac and cheese, hot dogs, and grilled cheese, these are the 4 food groups if you ask my son. My daughter Isabel is a pretty good eater yet, but I see that her taste buds are changing a bit too. We make them both take a "no thank you" bite of everything we eat, sometimes they reluctantly admit that they like things, generally you get the puckered lips and the gag reflex just shortly thereafter. Oh well, at least they are TRYING different things. [p]Amazingly, they actually BOTH liked those Chuletas I grilled last night, I would have sworn that they would be too spicy for them (my son calls it "tasty" as opposed to spicy). I grilled a plain chop for each of them and they both wanted more of the marinated ones. Go figure.[p]Troy