Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my first ribs

Options
phreakingeek
phreakingeek Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
126342143-M.jpg
<p />So, after much preparation...finally got to egg some ribs for the first time.[p]could have used a bit longer in the egg since they weren't 'fall off the bone' but the flavor of the rub with the sweet apple juice crust was out of sight![p](and yes, i ordered the plate setter and picked up some big-ass pans to replace that nickel sized pie plate i found in the pantry)

Comments

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    phreakingeek,
    good job on the raised grid. did you remove the membrane off the back of the ribs? how long did you cook them?

• phreakingeek
    Options
    ugavet,[p]yes, membrane off. [p]cooked them for a total of about 3.5 hours...[p]basically when the temps hit the mark on my instant read thermometer, we were dying to eat.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    phreakingeek, I dont use water pans in the Egg, as you really dont need to, but for a drip pan I use those alum pizza pans, they fit perfect between the legs of the platesetter

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    phreakingeek,
    if you want them more tender, try foiling them for an hour with a little apple juice in the bottom of the foil after your initial 3 hours then pull them out of foil and sauce back on the grill.

• phreakingeek
    Options
    UGAVET,
    will do...sounds like just the ticket to get that resturant tenderness while having the real home bbq flavor.[p]mmmmm i can taste it now...brb, got to go buy more ribs.

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    phreakingeek, I believe most on this sight use a 3-1-1 method or some variation of it. 3 hrs. indirect. 1 hr. wrapped in foil. 1 hour with foil removed. Sauce in last 15 min. Some remove the plate setter for the last hour of cooking. Dome temp at 250*. Jim.[p][p][p]