Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tea-smoked duck - report

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
An interesting experiment. After sitting in soy sauce and OJ overnight, the duck went into the Egg upright, sitting on a drip pan on top of firebricks. I put black tea leaves, brown sugar and white rice in a foil pouch directly on the fire. After 90 minutes at 400 or so, I had a tasty, beautiful dark brown bird. Refinements for next time: add some more zing to the marinade (maybe ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, or star anise and cinnamon) and go easier on the soy sauce. [p]This was my first duck cook, BGE or otherwise, and I should have read something basic, eg, Bittman's How To Cook Everything first. It has needed info for duck beginners. Re: Duck fat, Bittman says he pricks the skin as the bird roasts. I might try GeorgeR's boiling water idea next time. The Chinese method mentioned by Bittman is to prick the skin, steam the duck for 45 minutes before smoking it in the wok.[p]Cheers.