Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YES! My Costco has brisket...and my brisket has DP!

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brisket_RubbedandOnGrill_01152006.jpg
<p />Sources of brisket are a bit "thin" around here, but as I was at Costco yesterday, I noticed that they had trimmed brisket flats in the case. So, I flagged down one of the meat guys and asked if he had a whole one in the cryovac. After I convinced him that I knew that I was asking for a large cut of meat, he went in the back and brought me a nice, 7.25, untrimmed flat. Not quite a packer, but a more readily available source for me since I pick up just about all my meat at Costco anyway.[p]So, it's on the grill at about 235 degrees with a decent coating of Dizzy Dust and Red Eye Express. Can't wait for those succulent slices of smoked brisket around dinner time!!! :)[p]Rich

Comments

• Rich G,
    I found a trimmed yesterday. It's about 3 pounds. How long should I cook it and what temp. Can you cook a whole with out trimming it at all? Thanks

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    bonnie,[p]It's hard to say how long it will take, and smaller roasts will take longer per pound as they still have to go through the process of connective tissue breakdown. I would think that if you cook at 225-250 degrees and use the rule of thumb of 1.5-2 hours per pound, you'll be in the neighborhood. The most important thing to remember is that your brisket doesn't care a wit about time. It's done when it's done, though the above general timing will help you to know when to check it to see how it's getting along. I find that my briskets are usually done between 185-195 degrees internal temperature. I consider them done when a probe thermometer, or fork goes through the thickest part of the roast with little to no resistance (like warm butter.) I highly recommend resting your brisket wrapped in foil and in a cooler full of towels for at least an hour once you deem it done. This has always helped me to produce the most moist brisket.[p]Good luck, and check back and let us know how it turns out![p]Rich
  • Five 4
    Five 4 Posts: 3
    Options
    Rich,[p]I have the same problems. Up here in the northeast, brisket is typically a specialty food and pretty much has all the fat trimmed off.[p]I found a butcher (who also owns a farm)and he's able ot get me fresh, fatty brisket on a couple of days notice. And he delivers!