Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower Vent Flashback?

Options
WhiteDogBBQ
WhiteDogBBQ Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a large Egg and cooked steaks on it the other night. I've been Q'ing on Webers for years so while the BGE is new to me Q'ing isn't. Anyway, on my first steak cook I did a high temp sear then a lower temp dwell. Mindful of the issues with flashback, I opened the upper vent before opening the lid. Nothing happened. I then opened the lower vent. WHAM! A 2 foot flame came out the bottom vent! Fortunately I was standing to the side when it happened. Is this normal? I've heard of flashback when the lid is opened, but not one coming out of the bottom.

For what it's worth, I was using Royal Oak charcoal at the time. In all honesty I probably didn't let the charcoal burn enough before I started cooking (I was hungry) so it probably was putting off a fair amount of VOCs at the time.

Still, is this normal? I think for now I'll open the bottom vent from the side. :P