Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone

Options
jackie
jackie Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the BEST way to use Pizza stone in our Big Green Egg? We've tried two times and BURNT the crust... What is the best crust to use, what temp should egg be at as well as how long should stone be and at what temp prior to putting pizza on? How long should pizza cook?

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    you need a platesetter to put the pizza stone on.
    i do my pizza on a pizza screen on top of the pizza stone which sits on top of the platesetter) and bake @ 450F for about 20min. never burnt a pizza yet
  • jackie ,
    Here is a link to the Wiz's pizza setup, has worked for me in the past

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm[/ul]
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    jackie ,
    Im no expert, but made pizza 2 times. Got my dough ready made from Publix. Used a platesetter with the legs up amd stone on top. Cooked it at 550 and it was perfect.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    jackie , don't know if the Whiz can absolutely claim to have the BEST way, but he certainly does have a good way - even better than many. Try that and then see if you can improve on it even more. :-)

[ul][li]Whiz's Pizza[/ul]
  • Wise One,What temp & how long?Thanks.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    jackie ,[p]The very best way to use a pizza stone in the egg is to put it directly on top of the plate setter (legs facing down). This setup insulates the pizza stone from the infrared heat of the fire and allows the stone to remain at dome temperature.[p]A pizza cook is two cooks happening at the same time. The toppings cook from the heat in the dome. The dough cooks from the heat of the pizza stone. The dough cook is a blind cook and is best done by timing the cook. The dome needs to be hot enough to cook the toppings in the time that the dough uses to complete the dough cook.[p]You need a well heated egg so the toppings cook gets good heat as soon as the dome is closed.[p]You can use any crust you like as the all tend to need the same time/temp to cook properly. I would suggest a the above setup in a very well heated egg at a steady 550 degrees. Leave the bottom vent wide open and control the temp using the top vent only. This method will help heat the dome area very quickly. Cook the pie for 8 minutes - no peeking.[p]The cooking time is to cook the dough, the cooking temperature is to get the toppings done at the same time as the dough. If the dough is done before the toppings raise the cooking temp 25 degrees and drop the cooking time a bit.[p]Spin
  • egghead
    egghead Posts: 31
    Options
    jackie ,[p]I think it is important to preheat the stone before you put the pizza on to cook. An hour in the Egg isn't too long to preheat the stone.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Beef Lover, I cook mine for 15 minutes at 450-500. I use a sheet of Reynolds Release foil under mine to make removal easy.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    jackie ,
    I do like HungryMan- plate setter, legs up, grill and pizza stone.
    I don't remember why, but someone had noted a reason for not putting the P.Stone directly on the platesetter. Some folks who do it that way, put 3 egg feet under the stone to allow air between them.

• Principal Cook
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I have used spins method for years. Great stuff. A little corn meal on the pizza stone is all you need to remove the pizza. Make sure the corn meal is fine ground so it does not impact the texture of the crust.