Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time with Pizza

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight i am planning on grilling pizza. Going to buy pre-made dough. Need suggestions on temp and how long to cook with basic cheese and pepperoni toppings?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    101_0023-1.jpg
    <p />Scott,
    i usually run mine around 500ish. takes 8- 10 min. leave daisey open all ther way during cook and you can spy on it.
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Scott,[p]I used to cook my pizzas around 500 degrees but lately I have found I have more success at around 450 for a longer time. Especially helps if I am cooking more than one pizza. In the past the second and third pizzas would have a tendency for unevenly done crusts and the possiblility of burning. As far as time I usually start checking the crust at about twelve minutes and then just eyeball it from there.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Scott,
    may we assume you have both a plate setter and a pizza stone?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Yup...you want to run about 500 - 525 dome temp....Make sure you pre-heat your pizza stone for at least 40 - 45 minutes....And toss some cornmeal on the pizza stone before you put the pizze on....that way the pizza will slide right off the stone!![p]Getting the pre-made dough is the best way....sure saves some serious mess as just pounding out the dough to put the sauce, cheese and toppings on is enough work....[p]Have fun![p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Scott,
    Here's a link to my Pizza hints and tips:
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RRP, you know you raise a good point. I have seen FoodTV shows where they put the pizza directly on the grill to cook (I am assuming a precooked crust or you would have a big glob of burned goo). Has anyone ever done one that way?

• RRP
    Options
    Wise One,
    actually yes I have seen it done many times one day at our local annual eggfest! At local pizza parlor donated them and a sweet young thing to cook them on a large egg. The pizza is on a special cardboard that went directly onto the grate with no stone, no plate setter and no protection from the heat below. She baked 6 of them for the public and they were darn good!

• RRP
    Options
    and yes they appeared raw and the crust browned up nicely in the BGE so it wasn't just a matter of reheating either!

• RRP
    Options
    I stand before the world to correct my mistake! That gal used an inverted plate setter with the grate on the 3 legs and then the cardboard on that, but no pizza stone.