Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2ND ATTEMPT AT A BRISKET

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After my first brisket was saved by Dr. BBQ and the folks on this forum, I was ready to take a second stab to get it right. I purchased a vacummed packed brisket weighing 5 lbs at Costco.[p]I used my chimney to get the coals nice and hot. I then added an additional lump to the top of the fire ring. After the temperature stabilized at around 240 degrees, I decided to put my meat on and give it a go. The temperature stayed fairly consistent for about 2-3 hours. When I checked the temperature at this point, I was now at 300 degrees. Since my vents were hardly opened, I choked them down a bit more. Two hours laters when I checked the temperature again, the temperature had dropped to a mere 120 degrees.[p]I took the brisket off, wrapped it in aluminum foil, and put it in the oven at 1:30 in the morning at 205 degrees. At 6:00 am, I increased it to 225 degrees for a couple of hours. I then used seram wrap around the aluminum foil, turned off the oven, and let the brisket rest for 5 hours. [p]Bottom line: the brisket at one end towards the point, was FANTASTIC. As I progressed toward the bigger side, it did get a little tougher. My question: Has anyone experienced the brisket being tender on one side and tougher on the other? If so, how do I remedy this? Secondly, has anyone ever had any problems with the temperature not staying consistent during long cooks. Again, if so, how do I remedy?[p]Thanks much

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Scott,[p]So from your description, it was an 11 hour cook, 6 of which were in foil and then it rested for 5 hours. Even though you did not mention internal temps at the various stages of the cook, that should have been adequate time wise.[p]I can't say if I have ever had a noticeable difference (tender to tough) of tenderness from one end to the other on the flat, unless the thickness is not uniform allowing for the thinner areas to dry out. The point will be different from the flat, but on a 5# brisket, I doubt that you had a point, one that small was most likely just a flat.[p]Temperature control will come easily once you get some more cook time on the Egg. I start my lo-n-slo fires with one or two starter cubes at the top of the pile of lump.[p]<font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery