Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard on ribs etc...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see on a lot of recipes, to rub ribs, boston butts etc in mustard first, before any dry rub. [p]I am just curious what is the purpose for this? [p]Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    bsfd806,
    It helps form a crust... gives the rub something to hold onto. Some say the vinegar helps tenderize the meat too. I do it both ways. However, there is no mustard taste whatsoever when done cooking.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bsfd806,
    makes good bark, and you can get a lot more rub on with mustard. i always use mustard on butts, but on ribs its 50/50

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Essex County
    Options
    bsfd806,
    The mustard thing was one of my biggest revelations in bbq. I hate yellow mustard and didn't do the smear for the first two or three butt/rib cooks. Then I decided to give it a try and it makes a big difference for all the reasons mentioned below: bark, holds the rub, tenderizes. And there really is no residual mustard flavor. Do it![p]Paul

• bsfd806
    Options
    Thanks for the help...[p]I was hesitant before using it!![p]I'll definately give it a try this weekend!