Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primerib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 14lb roast ordered should i cut it in half or roast it whole?? 350 dome, 130 internal, v-rack and drip pan, theres a lot of diffirent ways to season,open too suggestions, thanks j.c

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    j.c in nv,
    shouldn't take any longer to roast whole, since the heat takes the short route in, and that's width (radius more precisely!), not length.[p]but it'd be easier to handle in half, and you'd have four end cuts versus two. ...never enough end cuts

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    stike,
    My wife asked me to cook a bonein, prime rib roast. I called the Rancher's Gourmet where I buy most of my meats.[p]They said that the whole rib roast would cost $525.[p]I said that I didn't want to buy the whole animal just the roast.[p]He replied that Prine costs $25 dollars a pound. Choice is $12.50 a pound.[p]Now I know that when you say prime they mean prime.[p]The whole roast of 8 plus ribs weighs about 20 pounds.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    yep, ex-frikkin-spensive.[p]google "alton brown family roast". i'd do it, but i'm lazy. he recommends going 'choice' and dry aging three days or so. true prime may be lost on some of your audience.[p]by the way, i feel happy as heck knowing that prime is going for $25 a pound, but that my butcher offers DRY-AGED prime at only $19.99[p]i have to drive 30 minutes to get it, but where i am, a regular top-choice is $17.99 a pound, and choice is $13.99[p]hmmm. i actually googled alton for you. the dry-aging method in his food network recipe is much different than how he does it on air. skip the towels on the beef. if you have a spare fridge, do it there, minimal disturbance and no stinky foods in the fridge (in my case, it's the beer fridge).[p]if you haven't had the dry-aged stuff, you may get nervous from the slight funky smell. as long as you are at 36 (sub 40 and over 32 degrees, actually), the smell will be gamey enzymatic after-lovin' and not spoilage (which will make you gag)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    Nessmuk, Go to Sams or Costco - Choice - bone in ribeye $7.97/lb !!!!!!!

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    j.c in nv,
    130 internal will give you no or little pink meat after you rest it. try 118-120 and 30 min rest foiled for med rare.[p]Cheers, Glenn