Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four-Butt Setup

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the first time ever I'm cooking four butts totaling about 32 pounds to deliver to my family and friends. I'm cooking on a large Egg and will be using my guru.[p]I've seen 4-butt setups but I can't recall how they were done. Any help would be deeply depreciated.[p]Spring "Soon To Be Haul'n Butt" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Platesetter legs up,drip pan and grid.Put two butts on grid lay extra grid on butts and put two more butts on top.This is simple and works.[p]Larry

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    YB,
    The butts appear to be taller than the space between the first and second grid. I have the BGE Raised Grid. I guess if bottom contact with a grid is okay, top contact should be okay too.[p]I'll probably pour some old gone-flat cokes or apple juice in the drip pan, or is it even necessary?[p]Plan on cooking at 240 to 250 overnight to 190° internal then letting them rest a few hours before pulling. I figure the temperature will rise some above the 190°.[p]My Eggs are totally clean and ready for new lump. Now to calibrate my thermometer to see how close it is to my Guru temperature. Oh yea, where should I measure the grid temperature with this setup?[p]Spring "Armed And Loaded With Questions" Chicken

• YB
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Just lay the second grid on top of the two butts and lay the other two butts on that grid and you should have plenty of room Leroy.The grid alone will give you enought room in between the butts.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    After a few hours I don't think it matters where you measure the temp,first or second grid the heat will even out.
    Larry

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    i dont own a guru, but have cooked 2 butts over 2 stacked briskets. you cant get a good temp reading in there for a few hours from the start of the cook. i thinkk the guru might chase false readings for a while. maybe start the guru after 3 or 4 hours knowing the egg is holding temps and that the gages are reading falsly. just something to think about, but with all that cold meat, you might have a 700 degree roaring fire under the plate setter and only be reading 200 at the dome with that guru chasing the false reading. ive done this the old fashioned way, and chased it before actually looking at the fire to see what was going on. then i went old school and trusted that things were right until the egg came back up to temps in a few hours. when i started the cook, at hour two i had both vents wide open and a roaring fire and a dome temp reading of about 200, thats how i knew something was up.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I have only done brisket and two butts, but the concept should work the same.
    DSC01996.jpg[p]If you've got a grid extender or round grate, just "squash" the top two on the bottom two and cook like normal. Note that the grate for the butts isn't even touching the bottom grate due to that big ol' chunk of cow!. 15lb brisket and two 8lb butts. Everything cooked fine. I think that we fed 25-30 people with very little left over.[p]Let us know how they turned out![p]
    Mmmm. I'm off to start my beef ribs...[p]ss

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    leroy,
    The last time I did 4 butts, I started them like south of I-10 did with the grid extender, after they shrunk enough, I stood all four on thier narrow sides on the main grid. I set the Guru for 250 and clipped the probe on to the stem of the dome thermometer. -RP

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Watch out that the dome therm. isn't stickin' da butts on top. False reading city.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    30pounds.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Here's how I did mine, grid extender.

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks for the help guys. I followed your advice and here's what it looks like.[p]Firsttime4butts12-17-06.jpg[p]I would'a never thought I'd be cooking four butts at one time but with my Food Saver I can Pull, Package and Freeze plenty for many rainy days. Taking some to my Mom too. She requested it. [p]Thanks again. Now the Guru and Big Green Egg will work in harmony to make a perfect butt.[p]Spring "Think I'll Take A Nap While My Egg Cooks Away" Chicken