Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt too small ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Jusr bought a 4 # Butt . Is it too small to do pulled pork ? If not should I be figuring 8 hours cook time 225-275 ? If it is too small sugestions on how to cook it differently would be appreciated.Thanks !

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Steve13,
    Cook it the same as a large one. I wrap the small ones in bacon to help keep it moist.

buttoverbrisketupdate.jpg[p]

• ronbeaux,
    Would you expect a 7-9 hour cook ?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Steve13,[p]The cooking time rule of thumb is less predictable when you are dealing with smaller cuts. For example, a 1# piece of brisket or butt will not be done in 2 hours...it may take 5 or 6. The rules of thumb work better on cuts that are 6# and up. A 4# butt makes good pulled pork, I have been known to cut 8#'s in half specifically to shorten the cook time. Because of the mass, they can dry out more than a larger one. Stick it with a probe thermometer after 4 hours and see where you are temperature wise. They will darken faster so keep some foil handy for tenting or wrapping if you don't want super dark bark. You can also foil them at 170°-180° and continue cooking until 195°-200° if you are worried about moisture, but you will soften the bark.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    steve1313,
    Yes. This was a brisket flat and a 4.5 butt and as I recall it took about 8 hours at 250 dome. That doesn't include the rest for at least an hour, more is better.

• thirdeye,
    Sorry for the double no posts .Hit the wrong button.Thanks for the help .I am going to try out my new Maverick ET73 !

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Steve13,
    We did 40 pounds of butt last weekend - they were small ones and it seems like you get more "bark" with the smaller ones!!
    The High School football team polished off the 40 pounds at their banquet!!
    Small butts are super if you like the "bark"!!![p]mule