Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey a SUCCESS!!!

Options
FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was a LOT nervous today. First I overslept. So I got the bird out of the brine and let it drain while I was lighting the fire. Then I got the Foster's can settled and got him on the fire. I got the plate setter legs up, then grid, then put the bird on, temp settled in nicely at 350. I went to clean up the kitchen, came back in ten minutes and the temp was up to 450!!! OH MY!!!! [p]I got the temp down and watched it for a long time and this time it held steady. It was an 11+ pounds so I'm thinking about 2.5 hours. At 2 plus 10 minutes I checked the temp and it was WAAAAY over the 170 for breast meat and 180 for thigh!! I was worried then, that it would be dry. I got the platter and gloves turned him over and pulled out the beer can. SPAAAAAAAAAASHHHH!!! There must have been over a quarter of the can left, I only started with a half!! That's all over the plate setter now. Next the breast bone splits!!!! OH MY!!!!! I'm thinking this is going to be disaster and we are going to be eating Chinese!![p]I put him in the tin foil in the cooler. Take him on a 15 mile ride to my parents and hope for the best.[p]Other than the fact that I'm going to have to clean up the Egg.... It was WONDERFUL!!! It was SO moist. My parents thought the bird was great!!! [p]Thanks for everyone's help, this really made for a great day for me!!![p]Time to start thinking about Christmas!!!!

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    Our disasters are others fantastic cooks sometimes. I recently made a couple of butts, one for me one for a coworker. I didn't think they were up to what I consider my normal level but she thought it was fantastic.