Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

heavy white smoke with daisy wheel

Options
2»

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Desert Egg,[p]Your white smoke cook has nothing to do with experimenting with using the daisey/slide top for temp control. White smoke can be either moisture, or from burning a piece of "lump charcoal" that has not been totally converted to pure charcoal.[p]Moisture (from the lump and/or excessive evaporation from liquid in a drip pan) will tend to "puff" out of the top like a smoke signal during the entire cook. The taste will not be affected.[p]A continuous white (or slightly gray, in bad cases yellowish) smoke indicates the burning of wood that has not been completely converted to charcaol. The taste added to the meal will be bitter.[p]After the cook, the remaining charcoal will contain the partially converted wood. They will be the heavy pieces that are white on the surface. Remove them and use the rest as normal.[p]Spin
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, is Spin one of them guys I saw chopping down the cool parts of the burning bush and loading it into the egg, in preparation for a 20 hour goat shoulder? Nahh! That musta been JJ. Spin was only about 16 back then. :^)[p]p.s. remember guys,, I said "I saw chopping,,,,"

• Spin
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I should reword my response to better indicate my appreciation for the numerous and varied responses to a question posted. And maybe I should refrain from attempting to offer a lame excuse of a comparison. My apologies to anyone offended. I did not intend to offend.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I was 15 :-). George Washington beat me by 6 months.[p]Spin[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I doubt Spin was chopping on it. I would be more inclined to think he was standing to the side trying to figure out what made it burn :~)

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Spin, none taken. I respect your experience. It's the only really good thing we gain by age. We're silver-backs buddy!:^)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, I bet Moses wishes he had Microsoft Word and e.mail....yet, maybe not! :-)[p]