Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Cranberry Relish

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have a recipe for fresh cranberry relish?[p]The one I lost when my computer died this past year included fresh cranberries, orange zest and some other goodies all tossed in a food processor, then chilled. So easy and good.[p]TIA[p]DD

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Is this the one you were thinking about?[p]Cranberry-Orange Relish[p]1 bag (12-ounces) fresh cranberries
    1 medium orange
    2/3 cup honey
    dash ground cloves
    dash ground ginger
    1/2 to 3/4 cups chopped walnuts (optional) [p]Cut the orange into 8 sections, keeping the peel on. Remove and discard any seeds. Place half the cranberries and half the orange sections in a food processor. Coarsely chop, pulsing the blade, being careful not to chop too finely. Pour the mixture into a medium mixing bowl.[p]Add the remaining ingredients to the processor, pulsing again until coarsely chopped. Add to the mixing bowl. Stir until both batches are mixed together. Chill until ready to serve. Stir before serving.

• DobieDad
    Options
    BobS,[p]That looks better than the one I lost![p]Your recipe jogged my memory. It called for some fresh ginger that really kicked it up. I think I'll go with yours with some fresh ginger added.[p]
    Thank you!!![p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Here's mine...[p]I've never been a fan of cranberry sauce (you know, the canned stuff that gets served up at Thanksgiving), so I went searching for something more to my liking. I used several recipes as a guide and ended up with this.[p]Cranberry Pear Chutney[p]3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup Splenda
    1 cup water
    1 tsp table salt
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    2 average cinnamon stick
    12 oz cranberries
    3 medium pear(s), diced
    1 cup Granny Smith apples, diced
    3/4 cup golden seedless raisins
    1/4 cup onion(s), minced
    1/4 tsp crystallized ginger, minced
    2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice [p]Combine sugar, Splenda, water, salt, cloves, cinnamon stick and cranberries in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop.[p]While cranberry mixture is simmering, peel and chop pears, apple, onion and mince ginger. Measure out according to amounts listed above.[p]When cranberry mixture is ready, add pears, apple, raisins, onion and ginger. Cook 20 minutes or until fruit is tender. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature and discard cinnamon sticks. Cover and chill. [p]Yield 4 3/4 cups. Serves 12.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• DobieDad
    Options
    Thanks Tonia,[p]Looks great![p]Do you think it could be done using all Splenda and no sugar?[p]Have you ever tried it that way?[p]I'll save this one for later. I need pears. I just got back from the store, and there is no way I am going back into that crowd today!!![p]R
  • DobieDad,
    If you want to kick it up a notch or three, toss in a stemmed
    and seeded jalapeno or two. You can taste the jap's but you don't
    notice any heat.

• Vtwynn
    Vtwynn Posts: 11
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]We've had this recipe in our family for as long as I can remember--and it's been around longer than me...Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. [p]*1 bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and any mushy pieces removed[p]*1 small juice orange with rind still on, cut in quarters, seeded[p]*1 small juice orange with rind removed, cut in quarters, seeded[p]*2 granny smith apples, cored and cut in slices[p]*1 cup of granulated sugar[p]*(Optional) shot of triple sec[p]Place all ingredients in food processor using metal blade. Pulse blade until all ingredients are well mixed and to desired texture. Better if made at least one day ahead of serving. Keeps for weeks in refrigerator so can be made well ahead. [p]I just finished making a batch for my family.[p]Happy Thanksgiving,[p]Vtwynn