Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooling down a turkey/Tampa TV

Options
drbbq
drbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a turkey today that has to travel tomorrow and be pretty on TV but I wanted it to eat good too so I wanted to cool it down as fast as possible. I had a quart plastic milk bottle full of water and frozen in the freezer for cooling down a pot of soup so I stuck that baby up Mr. Gobblers bung hole. It cooled him down quick and he didn't seem to mind. Now I had cooked it on a stand so he was spread pretty wide but maybe a pint bottle would work for tighter turkeys.[p]Man, I think I'm gonna write one of those household tip books next.[p]Anybody near Tampa I'll be on NBC Daytime at 10:00am.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    drbbq,
    good idea! I like the cool down thing, especially after boiling a sack of crawfish. throw in a bag of ice and it stops cooking, like NOW! never would have thought about using that on a turkey. that opens up a lot of ideas on saving just slightly over cooked stuff that you don't want to keep climbing....

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]I've saved a couple briskets like that at a cookoff. Wrapped them and layed them in a pan of ice.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    drbbq,
    I made about 3 gallons of turkey stock a week ago and used a similar method for cooling. Had four gallon sized ziplocks filled with water and frozen that I floated in the stock pot that was sitting in the sink filled with ice cubes and water. -RP