Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

first time for two butts

RRPRRP Posts: 21,757
edited 3:40PM in EggHead Forum
I got done with the gasket replacement project and now to get on with my eggin! I'm doing 2 5+ pound butts for the first time. Is the cooking time different for one vs two? Is it necessary to put a Polder in each? Any other tricks I need to know? Thanks!
L, M, S, &  Mini
And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
Dunlap, IL
Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Time about the same, may differ a few minutes one way or another. 1 Polderis all that is necessary.

As good as the EGG is it still can't count and hs no idea how many butts you have placed in it. Ed has a way to go to better educate it. hehe

• NoleGirlNoleGirl Posts: 33
    I've got a 6 lb. butt on right now, ( 1st time) and its at 136 degrees internal. I've been keeping it at 220, very successfully, all day. How long should I wait to pull into Q, and should I take it off before 200 internal and wrap in foil? I'm trying to learn from the masters!! So far, so good!!! Thanx, Lisa

Wait until it hits 195 or so *'s. Stick a fork into it and give it a twist. If it spins easy remove and let rest for a few minutes. Then pull it apart using 2 forks. Since it is getting late kick up the dome temp to 250-260* to speed things up a little for you.

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JJ, solid advice..I can add no more...

JJ, just saw your post hiding down here...dang...I didn't have to post..! Yer been cooking very long? Heeeee.

About a week. Getting callouses on my knees from dumping all my 5 bags of charcoal on the ground and sorting into sized piles. What a sick joke that post was. hehe

JJ, brings back memories....heeyaaaa! Don't forget yer bifocals and tweezers....:-)[p]
  • Orio KidOrio Kid Posts: 87
    You guys weren't serious!! My wife has been irritated for weeks. She has not been able to use the garage because of all the lump spread over the floor.
    I guess she can have her tupperware bowls back also. I was starting to get used to the stay fresh seal on those things!

Orio Kid ,
    You be funny!!! hehehe