Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought my 3rd egg - a small - on the way to work - estate sale.

Options
ChuckGGa
ChuckGGa Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a post earlier where someone "finally bought a small"... I'm glad I saw it - I needed justification this morning for buying a small on the way to work to go along with my 2 larges. [p]I have 2 large eggs, haven't used both at one time very often, but bought one of the larges used, at a deal I couldn't pass up - thus I have 2 larges. It's an addiction, and I have it in a bad way! [p]Just last night I fired up one of the larges to cook "1" ribeye for myself, and thought how nice a small would be... [p]
[p]This morning on my way to work I stopped at an estate sale and they had a small, in the nest egg, with standard accessories - the grey felt was still mostly grey... great shape. anyway, on a whim, I bought it (price was right)- [p]My wife may kill me, I'll have to be like UGAVET and figure out how to tell her, or hide it awhile, but I bought it - [p]The earlier post made me feel better - especially the link about it being a steak grillin' machine. I was concerned I might not like it, since I have gotten used to the grilling space on the large size. [p]Do many of you with multiple eggs have larges and later add a small? seems to make sense, especially like last night when I fired up a large to cook one steak for myself - i would assume a small would do this much more effiently / faster. [p]ChuckGGa

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ChuckGGa,[p] Honey it followed me home can I keep it? I promise to feed it and take care of it PLEEEEAAASSSSSEEE..[p] Oh here are those Diamond Earrings you always wanted..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    the small is a miser with lump, you have to clean it out more often, but you save on lump and it can do a fairly large roast, a good amount of beans etc. as well as steaks. i low and slow riblets n the small on occasion, but still do most of those cooks on the large. its a good addition.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]I know a couple who came to a very fair agreement. They each defined their favorite hobby. His is his airplane and hers is decorating the house. Any time he spends money on his airplane, she gets to spend an equal amount decorating the house. ANY other non-budgeted expenditures are agreed to with full veto power granted the non spender. She still bugs him about his airplane, but now it is, “Isn’t it about time for its annual inspection?” or “Wouldn’t it be a lot nicer to have that new navigation system you were looking at?”

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    ChuckGGa, Whether or not you made the right decision will become perfectly clear to you in a matter of days. And there's no doubt what the answer is.
    Scott

• Sandbagger
    Options
    ChuckGGa, can you email me your address. I prefer you not post it here as it sounds like another estate sale in the works and I'd hate to rumble with other eggors for that small, not to mention the larges......T

• ChuckGGa,
    Congrats on the latest acquisition! I have a small that I use mostly for grilling. The one thing that was missing with it was good grill marks. BGE doesn't have a cast iron grate for the small so I bought a square one, and cut a round one from it. Definately worth the effort. -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p] In my household mine are Scuba Diving, Underwater Photography and Cooking. She is into Quilting and other Crafts.[p] I am saving up my money to buy her Quilting Machine and the Quilting frame.. Both of them cost more then 2 Large Eggs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    IMG_0695.jpg
    <p />ChuckGGa,
    The large and small is the perfect combination! We started with a large and then my wife surprised me with the small that I really wanted a few months later. Then for the next two birthdays she filled in the family with a medium and then a mini. There's only 2 of us and I use my small at least 55% of the time

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChuckGGa
    Options
    RRP,
    This makes me feel better... so I WILL get use out of it. I was really concerned it would be to small, and I would not like it - but for the price I paid I couldn't leave it sitting on their rear deck for someone else to snag.

• ChuckGGa
    Options
    AZRPCongrats on the latest acquisition,
    BGE tells me they are coming out with a platesetter for the small... in the meantime, are the grate mates the best option? any experience with them? I will email Chubby to get the low down, or go to Maked Whiz's site, but just curious to know about options / accessories for the small size.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Michael B,
    Reminds me of my deal for my large lo so many years ago. She got a chair and ottoman.....that no one could sit in....guess which purchase was more valuable :>)

• ChuckGGa
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I married the perfect girl... she does not spend money. I oculd give her $500 right now and drop her off at the mall with no car so she couldn't leave... she'd come out with $500... she hates to shop for clothes, never spends any money... and I am just the opposite. I have my play toys, and my hobbies are expensive...
    We have a 1962 corvette convertible - and I have the green eggs - I spend alot of time an dmoney on these items.... and I can't get her to buy name brand toilet tissue, as an example. She's tight. Perfect wife.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    I have the Gratemates but to be honest, I don't use them very often. They work very well, but most of my indirect cooking is done on the large. I have used them for making chile in a dutch oven and for cooking fatties indirectly on the upper grate. -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    ChuckGGa,[p] What you worried about then :)[p] I'd give my wife $500.00, take her credit cards away and she'd come out with a $1000.00 worth of clothes and change from the original $500.00. She'd hand me the change and tell me to go diving. [p]Now that is the perfect wife, and I am buying her the quilting machine and frame because she is!!
  • AZRP
    Options
    cor1.jpg
    <p />ChuckGGa,
    Sold it a coulpe years ago. -RP

• ChuckGGa
    Options
    AZRP,
    I saw this picture, or one close to it, in an old post several months back... at the time I did not have a way to email you, I did not know how to look i tup, but I had questions then about you... [p]Ours is the 1962, 327 - 340hp, black interior, roman red exterior, original engine, transmission, etc... I have the soft top and original hard top - I drive it often on the pretty weekends, but probably 30-40 miles would be the most it's been driven on any given day in 'ages'. [p]I love it - and other corvette owners like it even more than I do... I can't count the # of new vette's I've pulled up beside at redlights that offer pink slip trades... [p]any parts laying around I'd want to buy?

• AZRP
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    Nope, everything I had went with it. -RP

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    ALL IS WELL WITH THE WIFE FOR NOW. I KNOW I AM GONNA GET THE "WELL, YOU HAVE 3 EGGS SO YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY 150TH PAIR OF SHOES". GLAD I GOT THE SMALL. I HAVE BEEN USING THE HECK OUT OF IT. A LITTLE MORE SENSITIVE ON THE TEMP CONTROL BUT FINALLY HAVE IT MASTERED I THINK. GOTTA GET GRATE MATES FROM CHUBBY TO MAKE IT MORE VERSATILE.

egg00050.jpg[p]

• UGAVET
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    i use the gratemates frequently for beer can chicken and making my shrimp scampi and other baking type dishes includeing bread. they are very handy.[p]

• ChuckGGa
    Options
    UGAVET,
    xl, medium and small? or xl, large and small? [p]the one in the table... medium or large? [p]Like me, you've got alot of options with all those eggs.[p]Was the XL the one you got first? which one do you catch yourself using more often?

• UGAVET
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    the one in the table is a large and was my first egg march of this year. got the xl and small at eggtoberfest. since octoberfest i have probably cooked an average of 5 out of 7 days. the large has been used 4 times since then and the small has been used the rest of the time. the xl got its first use tonite to do a pizza cause i was using the large to do spatchcocked chicken on a raised grid set up so i did the pizza on the xl, mainly cause i just been looking for an excuse to crank it up. 3 of us makes the small more convenient for routine fair such as chicken, steak, pork chops. i have only used the large for low and slow with my barbq guru. also like doing steaks on the large right now with my cast iron grid for searing with nice grill marks. i dont have a cast iron grid for the small. dont think they make one but they need too.