Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YO - Thirdeye - One more question on Buckboard Bacon

Options
Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yo - Thirdeye - Sorry to start a new post but the other one was so far down. I too ordered the cure from Hi Mountain - Great service - great instructions. Anyway two questions: 1) I thought one of the reasons for a cure as apposed to a brine was to dry it out. - Won't the vac pac cure with all the liquid be more of a brine instead of a cure ?? Would that not produce a totaly different animal ??
2) Once cured, smoked and sliced - how do you keep ?? Is it safe in the fridge ?? Or do you have to freeze ???[p]Can't wait to try it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Memphis,[p]The way I see it, curing can be accomplished in two ways; a dry cure and a brine. Both are preserving with salt, the delivery is just different. Over time a dry cure extracts moisture and eventually produces a brine whereas a brine starts off as a salt in solution and goes to work faster. Either way, you can't avoid the liquid. I can tell you that I can tell the difference between fish that has been dry cured and brined fish. The texture of dry cured fish is firmer.[p]Vacuum sealing meat that is undergoing dry curing will keep the meat in closer contact with the brine that will be produced, just as submerging meat in a liquid brine keeps it in contact with the solution. This is important.[p]After curing, the bacon will keep in the fridge like any other bacon. (not sure what the actual shelf life is) Due to the quantity I do on each smoke, I prefer to slice it and freeze on wax paper, then package in zipper bags or vacuum in 1/2 pound amounts.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery