Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buckboard bacon

Options
Richard
Richard Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, Has any one tried to cure buckboard bacon in food saver vac pack. If so was the cure time shortened.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    grs,[p]I have been reading about doing just that. Another advantage of vacuum sealing is keeping the meat in better contact with the brine during the cure. See my reply in the other post on Buckboard.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks Ive looked at your web site. I'm doing pork butt I'm wondering how much time will be taken off. Is it possible to have to much cure if I leave it for 10 days as instructions sat.

• thirdeye
    Options
    grs,[p]I'm not sure. The information I've read only mentions that dry curing in a vacuum shortens the cure time. I'll bet it may knock a couple of days off the cure time. You can always pull it Thursday night or Friday, soak, then dry and hold in the refrigerator for smoking Saturday.[p]If you ever overshoot your cure time, or get results that are too salty for your taste, just increase your soaking time and change the water several times. Some people I know do at least a 6 hour soak. (Just don't use less cure or you will defeat the purpose). [p]When I have "liquid brined" things under vacuum, I do them about 2/3 as long as usual, but I'm usually doing things like chicken breasts or some chops. Since the brine is liquid it surely goes to work faster.[p]Please let us know your results.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Since this is my first attempt I probably should have done it by the book then I would have a base line to compare. I do like salty ham and bacon. I think I'll let it go the full 10 days. Is there any visual indications when it is about done/

• thirdeye
    Options
    grs,[p]Visually, you can't tell a thing. To experiment, I guess you could do one of two things: 1. Cut the butt in half removing one half two days early. 2. Go the full 10 days, cut the butt in half and soak one half longer.[p]I do know that of all of the cooking methods, (micro, frying, baking & grilling) baking retains more salt.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Richard
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks, will let you know.