Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg sweat

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Egg is about 3 years old and I saw something tonight that I have never seen before. I started out by cokking some wings at 325 for about 50 minutes. Once they were done, I let the Egg heat up to 600+ to cook a couple of small filets. While the filets were cooking, the Egg lid began to sweat a coffee colored liquid. When I first saw it, I thought some sort of splatter had happened when I walked away. So I wiped off the liquid and that's when I saw it sweating the substance. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    wesley,
    Never! And I haven't seen it posted before. Sure would be interesting to know why. Is your egg under a patio cover or roof?[p]Standing by

• ronbeaux,[p]It is out in the open air on the deck. I keep it covered, but it got rained on while uncovered last week. I covered it again after it was dry. It has been rained on before, but I have never seen this happen. Thanks for your response!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    wesley,
    I've had it happen time to time myself - only thing I can imagine is even though the BGE is a fired ceramic it is still somewhat poreous and moisture does settle in the minute pores and spider web like cracks. It probably sweats more often than what we realize, but don't catch it happening. Main thing is other than the nuiance of cleaning it off from time to time it's no big thing. Most household cleaners will remove the dried on residue, though I found a Rutland product that cuts time and effort to practically nothing.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    wesley,
    Mine will do that if I have not used it for few days after a heavy rain. If I let the temp get up around 600-700 for a while it will sweat like crazy.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    wesley,[p]The phenomenon has been mentioned before on the forum but I agree that the first time I saw mine do that I was taken by surprise. I didn't think, at the time, that it had anything to do with rain (and mine is left exposed to the weather) but that could be a contributing factor. In any case, I've not seen it happen to either of my Eggs for a long long time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    wesley,
    The first time I saw my Egg sweat I ran to the computer and hit the forum! The "old timers" said it was nothing to worry about and if I wiped it off to be careful because it was basically, boiling water/steam! Periodically MR. Egg would sweat for a few days each year, no special time, and I'd wipe it off. Pourous materials wiill pick up moisture. Ceramics are pourous. I've kept my Egg covered since the day I bought it so I don't think that having it covered or uncovered is a question. Sweat happens, as they say.