Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Use of Wood Chips

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When using water-soaked wood chips, they make a lot of smoke when they are first added over the coals. Is it best to put the meat on soon after the chips are added, or is it best to wait until most of the smoke has stopped billowing out the lid?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    i'm one of 'those people' who doesn't soak them.[p]they won't flare up, as they would in a grill, in contact with open flame, so you'll get a slow smolder, rather than having them burst into flame and create bitter smoke.[p] and much of that 'billowing smoke' is actually billowing steam. you just end up waiting for it to evaporate before it is smoking anyway.[p]at least that's what i think after playing around with them.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chuck/Tx,[p]I'm with stike here. Bring the egg to cooking temp and then add the dry chips, meat and close the egg up so the smoke produced rests on the meal instead of leaving unused.[p]I like to smoke heavy and early as the meat is best able to distribute the smoke flavor when it is still moist on the outside. Smoking after the meat surface has dried a bit can lead to a smoke "bite" taste.[p]If you are more comfortable using wet chips, they will work fine also.[p]Spin
  • s, I appreciate the replies from both of you and will use dry chips next time, and put them in at the same time I put the meat in, as you said. By the way, I cooked chicken wings this evening for supper using apple chips -- cooked'em an hour on a raised grid and, man, those things were good. Odd how something as simple as chicken wings can be so good. Again, thanks for the feedback.

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Drowning the chips to make them last a bit longer is a kettle sort of thing to do. [p]You don't need to soak them and drop them on top of the coals in an egg. Better to mix dry chips in with the lump so that they are gradually ignited as the fire spreads.