Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Cookin' Pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE'er as of August. Already cooked one Boston Butt using the plate setter and rack with drip pan partly filled with water. I was bummed when my wife woke me up in the morning saying the fire went out due to an overnight shower. Have an umbrella for next time.[p]Is it best to use this combination (plate setter and rack with drip pan ) or just the rack in the drip pan? Getting ready to cook one this weekend.[p]Also registered for Eggtoberfest![p]DawgBone

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    DawgBone,[p]Both....but I do not use the water. I sometimes put wet chips in the drip pan. I try to do something different every time looking for that better mouse trap. In fact, last week I did a slow cook and poured a couple of Mikes Hard Crisp Apple in the drip pan. Not sure I could tell the difference but the aroma was stellar. Also, injected the butt with apple juice. That did make a difference.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    P1010352.jpg
    <p />DawgBone,[p]Your asking what is best, well only you can answer that for you.[p]That being said; I have had my fire go out as well. What I do is light the fire in more than one place(3 places) when lighting it. Additionally before I go to bed I poke at the coals with a "wiggle rod" (a.k.a. bent coat hanger). That way I ensure good charcoal flame propigation.[p]Number B: I use that plate setter with a drip pan. Works well for me, but there are other options you need to investigate.[p]Part 3: For the Rain I use a Vent pipe cover. I usually put it on for over night cooks as a insurance measure.

• Thanks guys. Just looking for new ideas from the seasoned experts here to make it better.[p]DawgBone