Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great opportunity - but need advice

Options
Ronbo
Ronbo Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. A friend of mine has asked me to make pulled pork and beans for 80 people. I figure it will take about 8-8lbs butts. My problem is that I only have a large bge. [p]My plan
Cook 4 starting Wed Night
Refrigerate them
Cook remaining 4 on Thurs night
Friday pull the 4 off, wrap in foil and put in a cooler until 6pm[p]My question is. How do I make it so that the 4 cooked on wed/thur taste as if they just came off of the grill? Should I pull them and just re-heat, leave them whole and re-heat. Or do something else and combine the fresh cooked with the day old ones. I would rather pass on the opportunity then to give out something that is just not as stellar as the first sandwich when you first pull off a butt and let it rest a bit[p]Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Ronbo,[p]I've never tried anything like this, butt I would pull the ones I did the first night then mix them with the freshly pulled ones.[p]If you are adding a tomato based sauce and do it in a crock pot or dutch oven I would think this would really make it hard to notice one type from the other.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• egghead
    Options
    Ronbo,
    My experience has been that pulled pork heats up very well and if you reheat you can't tell the difference.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Ronbo,[p]Reheating in an elec roaster using Coke (NOT Diet) as a "moisturizer" results in taste and texture identical to fresh. Apple juice works OK, too. For that much meat, it takes quite awhile to get it warm enough- start 2-3 hours ahead, at least. [p]Woody
  • Ronbo, Don't leave them whole. Pull it and bag the meat in freezer bags while still fresh. You can reheat by putting the bags in boiling water. Comes out smelling and tasting just like fresh pulled. I've heard that this works just as well with freezing, but I've only personally done it with refrigerated. --Lou