Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini fire ring

Options
BikesBoardsnBBQ
BikesBoardsnBBQ Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Awhile ago, I asked about using an additional fire ring, upside down, on the mini to raise the grate. Well, it works. Raises the meat higher above the coals, and still allows for T-rexing, etc. This way, food cooks more evenly (I think).

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BikesBoardsnBBQ,
    I have that setup on my mini. Now all I need is a bi-level grid for a drip pan platform and I'm good to go indirect. My large has a double ring; a fire ring and a grid ring, (inverted fire ring), used in conjunction with the contraption tri-level grid. This setup is cooking food beyond my expatiations. Another test tonight; Cajun chicken.
    Clay

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Do you have a photo of that large set-up?

• Grillicious
    Options
    ClayQ or BikesBoardsnBBQ, can one of you post a pic of your mini setup? I haven't had trouble TRexing steaks with the standard mini setup, i.e. grid on the one fire ring, they come out perfect every time. But I do see how that would be a definite help with chicken and other meats you don't want to sear and cook hot and fast. I'm planning on setting up a SandBagger-like raised grid setup for the mini like I have for my large. I just have to finalize the specs.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    egret,
    I will take new pictures with tonights cook for a closer and better look at both my eggs and will post soon.
    Clay

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    ClayQ,
    thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing it!