Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ for 40...

Options
Lucky Duck
Lucky Duck Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd be grateful for a little help... OK a lot of help! Our Bonsai Club does an annual BBQ.. Last year was Chicken, dogs and turkey sausage. I raised my hand and mentioned that we could do BBQ... The board was just tickled as they remember some of the half raw chicken from last year, though nothing was said. I've never done a big group.[p]Now... Here is where you all come in.[p]Brisket and pulled pork... Both. How much do I buy? I thought about a half pound per person because there are quite a few older folk attending. More? Would I only do flats of brisket? Boston butt vs. the whole shoulder? Cost is not an issue. Easy is!
Timing... I keep reading that every piece of meat is different and so too the amt. of time. What do I do to be super safe? Dinner must be ready on time... Remember I said there will be older folk and they go to bed early.[p]Anything I missed? Oh, I have an XL, large and a small. [p]Phil, D' I will be most grateful, Duck

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Lucky Duck,
    I'd recommend that you prepare enough of each, brisket and butt, for 30 people. Yes, you'll end up with 60 servings, but it cuts down on the "I really wanted brisket (or butt)" whimpering. I'd figure on third pound portions; in other words, ending up with 10 pounds each. To be on the safe/generous side, figure that it will take 2 pounds of uncooked meat to yield 1 pound ready to serve - you'll want 20 pounds of pork and 20 of brisket.[p]You didn't mention it, but sides are definitely a factor. More sides typically equates to less meat. What's planned?[p]I'd also plan on finishing the cook a full hour to hour and a half before serving starts. This gives you a window, rather than a deadline. When the meat comes off, wrap it in foil and hold it in an ice chest.[p]As far as butt v. shoulder, flat v. whole brisket - it doesn't make much difference. What are you most familiar with? Go with that, and keep life simple.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Yo ducky, nice name.[p]I would do the pulled pork ahead of time. If you do it over a few days you can freeze and reheat. I personally would want 15 lbs of finished pulled pork and 10 lbs of finished brisket. This is about 3 aluminum half-pans of pork and two half-pans of brisket. [p]You should have some pork left over.[p]You will need to start with approx 30 pounds of butts, and 20 pounds of brisket. Figure 50% loss to finished product. With all your cooking devices maybe you will want to go with three briskets, I would do packers. I have found the pulled pork freezes and reheats better than the brisket so I would do that a couple of days ahead of time and time the brisket to come off before the event.[p]Sounds like a cook I did for the University of Oregon Offensive line a few weeks ago. 17 players, 13 others. They went through 24 racks of ribs, 20 lbs of brisket and 20 lbs of pulled pork. Nothing came home. But these were big growing boys!
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    duck (Oregon Duck!),
    Great name Duck! We went up to Alaska two years ago caravanning w/ friends and I needed a handle for the CB.s There is a bar in Fairbanks with the nose of a DC7 mounted on the front of the place... It's name, You guessed it... Lucky Duck.
    Any way, I hate to admit it, though I've not been using the forum long... What's a packer? Don't tell anybody that I don't know that... It will embarrass me! Can't have that.[p]Thanks for the info, all. I like the 1/3rd served portions as they will have "pot luck" sides. That name again. Got to think about the freezer.[p]Phil, D' appreciative Duck[p]

• With brisket you can typically get a flat or the whole brisket with the point attached, this is usually called a packer. Lots of folks like to cook the whole brisket, the packer, because it tends to not dry out as much as the flat.
    You also then have the point to make burnt ends and such with.[p]Go Ducks! Beat the Fresno Bulldogs