Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt - any suggestions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking my first Boston Butt Saturday evening using the Pulled Pork-Naked Whiz Style recipe. I picked up a fresh bag of BGE lump & a plate setter today and will get the butt tomorrow.[p]Does anyone have any last minute suggestions/advice before I take the plunge?[p]Thanks in advance,
Rusty

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    RustyEgg,
    Don't let the fire go out, don't peek, and be prepared to get rave reviews. Even I can cook these things successfully. The last one I did was 225 dome for 15.5 hours (8.5 lb. butt), plate setter inverted, grid over drip pan on the plate setter. Last 1.5 hour at 275 because I was almost late for work. 2 hours/lb. would probably have been just about right at 225 dome. Pulled at 200 internal, and it was great. Dizzy Dust, but I've used the generic grocery store "Butt Rub" and that one was very good, too. It's just a very forgiving piece of meat. Good luck.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RustyEgg,[p]The most common misjudgement on many first lo-n-slo butt cooks it using too low of a fire. It can slip away from you when you least expect it to. Use 250° at the grate which on my large is around 280° dome. After 4 or 5 butts, you can play with lower temps.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    Options
    Great suggestions thirdeye! Right on the money! I would also like to add that BGEs aren't "set it and forget it" devices....You need to check on it every couple of hours or so.....Just to make sure your fire is going and all is well....Do this for a few low-n-slows until your confident....[p]BBs are extremely forgiving so don't put too much pressure on yourself.....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    eddiemac,[p] I let my Maverick Remote ET 73 watch the egg.. Get more sleep that way.. While I agree it's not a Rondel invention every two hours can be stretched with the right equipment.[p] BBQ Guru, Stoker, and even the Remote Thermometers.. [p] I will agree that you should get real use to building a fire and controlling temps before attempting a Lo 'n' Slo whether it be an Egg, a Lang, a WSM or a Klose..
  • EddieMac
    Options
    I have the Maverick also and it does a GREAT job and I use mine all the time....but this fella didn't mention that he has one....and if he doesn't...it's good to keep an eye on a low-n-slow the first time around......[p]Ed

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    eddiemac,[p] Agreed and in a round about way we suggested he might consider getting a Maverick :)[p] I can now rest knowing that we have helped yet another person achieve BBQ perfection...
  • Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have a guru, temp controlling equipment, so I'm relying on the BGE and frequent checks to make sure the fire doesn't go out.[p]Lots of help guys, looking forward to the lo n slo cook.[p]Thanks again, Rusty

• uncbbq,
    Great advice, this site is great, I wouldn't have know how to do half the things I do with the BGE without this site and all the folks providing great tips.[p]Thanks, will let everyone know how it turns out.
    Rusty

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RustyEgg,
    have you read elder wards 4 part directions in the recipe section, covers everything. like already was said, for your first set it up for a minimum 250 dome and you will have much less problems

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    RutsyEgg,[p] I am being 100% serious now.. ok ok I am being as serious I can..[p] Get yourself a Maverick et 73 Remote Thermometer. $50.00 /w shipping on-line. It will monitor the Grate temp and the meat temp and let you know if either goes astray...[p] Just make sure you order the 73 and not the 7.
  • Celtic Wolf,
    I'll put it on my list - I've been doing pretty good so far without a temp device but on these long smokes I can see the benefits of getting one.[p]Thanks,
    Rusty