Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Subtle paella BGE cooking question ....&... Italian (Giada) version??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed and copied several paella recipes including one from the recent thread. This week-end will be a first on the BGE using a true (almost)paella pan. I have heard that the test of a classic paella is the almost crusty cooked rice across the bottom of the pan. [p] That raises the question of direct or indirect. To get such a result suggests some or all in direct mode? Anyone with answers or ideas? [p] Having seen Giada's recent post caused me to wonder if there is also an Italian version of paella cooked in the same wood-fire grill style?[p]Regards,[p]Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    i have had troubles with paella so i wont give you any specifics. i believe that the traditional portuguese style has more of the chewy crust your talking about and the spanish style with tomatoes its much less important. my great grand mother made the best portuguese style and i wish i knew her long enough to find out her secrets. she did hers on an open fire built on firebricks with a grill setup over the fire. no steaming action, and i dont believe she ever stirred it during the cook. never heard of an italian style, probably more of a spanish style with the tomatoes peppers onion celery etc.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    b802d186.jpg
    <p />Hi Tom,[p]I do mine indirect and set my pan on the plate setter (legs down). I do use two pieces of 1/8" angle iron, inverted, for a air gap. (if you look really close in the picture, you can see one of the angle iron pieces under the front third of the pan). I also keep a chicken broth/water mix handy and add a little at a time if needed to control the rice. With my pan, a typical cook takes about 45 minutes.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p] Thanks for helping! About what dome (or grate) temp are you using? I'm guessing 350*-400*F ?? [p] My pan is a recent eBay purchase (13 1/2 inch round Dansk enameled steel paella pan).... nicc and deep but almost flat bottom .... somewhat like your flat-bottom wok. I'm going with a heavy shellfish (squid, mussels, shrimp) recipe in addition to some chorizo and chicken. I'll definitely try a couple pieces of angle steel for air space. [p] Maybe finish with a few minutes firect to attempt to 'crisp' the bottom rice?[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    paella1.jpg
    <p />Tom B. (EggSport),
    I do mine direct in order to develope the socarrat(crusty rice) on the bottom. So far I haven't mastered it. I cook the sofrito on the stove then move to the Egg and add the rice, broth, ect. Good info at this site. -RP

[ul][li]Paella[/ul]
  • AZRP,[p] Thanks for the precise update! I had just referred back to your earlier post. I like what you have done and really appreciate the 'socarrat' note. I always want to know more about regional and ethnic cooking than just having the recipes. [p] I Bookmarked that fine site for reference.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tom B (EggSport),[p]I love mussels and clams in there! Sometimes the drumette part of the wing too. I think that bone gives some flavor?[p]You got it, 375° dome. My pan is pretty thin, and I knew I wouldn't be stirring during the cook, that's why I opted for the air gap. A thicker pan, or one with a different height to diameter ratio may not need the gap.[p]I use short grain rice and it comes out good.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p] Thanks for these details. I don't have a good source for Bomba rice so will go with Arborio. [p] Always appreciate your expertise![p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]Don't know if someone previously posted this Recipe of Giada's. One of the reviews posted with it calls it 'Italian Paella". sounds good.
    [ul][li]Grilled Meats and Vegetables over Saffron Orzo[/ul]
  • Tom B (EggSport),
    Here is a Bomba source!

[ul][li]http://www.tienda.com/food/pop/rc-03.html[/ul]
  • We do many large paella's. I have four different pans, for goups of 4-8 up to over 50. My pan is made in Valencia Spain as well is the triple burner that heats it. I use Spanish Bomba rice and get wonderful crust on the bottom. I do a seafood paella or my favorite a Northwest Market paella with smoked chicken, anduie sausage, great fresh mushrooms and local peppers, onions and snap peas. [p]I believe the best paella is made from the freshest local ingredients and not necessarily from stuff from other places. Having a smoker is a nice complement to the paella since you can do things ahead of time before the Paella. I like to smoke my chicken the day ahead of time with some great dizzy rubs, smoke the sausage and maybe some good local chorizo. Get the liquid/rice ratio right and it is hard to screw this up. I also us fresh herbs from my garden, I know the rich flavors help the special broth I make.
  • SyraQ,[p] Terrific !!! Just what I was looking for. Thanks very much for posting this.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• fishlessman,[p] Traditional recipes and stories are 'priceless' and I really appreciate the subtle details like the fire set-up and 'no stirring'. [p] Thanks much![p]Tom B (EggSport)

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    I picked up their 14" pan. Makes a great drip pan in the large as well as its normal use.
  • thirdeye,[p]One of the most common mistakes is to overload the pan with too many ingredients, thereby suffocating the rice. When the rice in a paella is cooked well, nothing else matters-not the chicken, not the clams, not even the artichokes, or corn on the cob?? Never saw that in Spain. These other ingredients do have a role to play in the pan, and that is to provide flavor to the rice. For great paella, add them with restraint, and let the rice take center stage.

• Tom B. (EggSport),[p]True Paella from Spain is cooked outdoors over an open fire and with olive wood, which imparts greater flavor enhancing the already fruity olive oil taste. But naturally most of it is cooked indoors today but still over an open flame, gas burner typicall. We used to always cook on a charcoal grill then I discovered the BGE. What an absolutely perfect method of cooking a paella!!!! I cook direct. That is how it is done in Spain. Just get the temp. steady at about 300-350 b/c once you open the lid it of course will vent and temp. will rise. I just keep the lower vent closed and if it does get too hot...garlic, onions burning, etc. just take the paella pan (paellera) off and close the lid and let coals/fire go down. You will not interrupt the paella one bit. I have a Med. BGE and I got I think a 14" paellera. It is a perfect tight fit. DELICIOSO![p]
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Sportsman's Lodge,
    Any favorite recipes that you would be kind enough to share?[p]

• Sportsman's Lodge,[p] I appreciate and respect your comments to thirdeye re. smothering the rice with too many ingredients. Right now I plan to go with chicken, chorizo seco, scallops, shrimp, and some seafood mixta (mussels, squid, krab). The onions, garlic, red pepper seem ok and I was going to garnish with some very fresh Hatch chiles on top at the end. What about green peas? Many recipes mention this, but perhaps they are better left out? [p] I am absolutely open to your critque on this and will hold back on any of these which you feel will detract from the end result. [p]Best regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)