Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Screen Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never cooked pizzas before I got my egg and am still learning about making them. I may be confused about what a pizza "screen" is and it's purpose. Is a pizza screen the metal pan that's used to hold a cooked pizza, cut it, and serve it, or is a pizza screen one of those round, flat pieces of metal with holes drilled in the bottom, that I assume is used to build a pizza on top of it and transport it to the grill. Please, somebody, educate me.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    A pizza screen can be one of two different types that I've seen. Either a circular screen that looks like it is made from window screen, or a circular screen that looks like it was made from expanded metal. It's purpose is to hold the pie while it bakes.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz, do you put the pizza on the screen and then put the screen on the baking stone to cook the pizza?

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Yes..and no..[p]If you are using fresh dough then put it on the stone...[p]If you are using a premade dough...you can put it directly on the grill...[p]You really don't need one...if you use a pizza peel..
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    The use of pizza screens is for building and cooking the pizza in the oven (egg). There is only 2 ways to get the pizza to the egg. Roll out the dough a put on a peel with flour/corn meal under the dough so the built pizza will slide off the peel. Roll out the dough and place on the pizza screen. Build your pizza directly on the screen and put the screen with the pizza on your pizza stone in the egg. Hopes this helps. Thanks, Tom

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I don't use screens. I use a peel and put the pie directly on the stone. However, if I were to use a screen, I'd put the pie on the screen and the screen on the stone.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • I want to say thanks to you guys for helping me understand. Up to this point, I've only used pre-cooked dough, including thick, thin, tortiallas, and pitta bread to make pizza. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll start using uncooked dough. Anyway, now I understand the use of a pizza screen. I have a pizza peel, so guess I don't really need a screen at this point.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    A pizza screen will give uou a crisper crust especially with a store bought pie as opposed to a pizza pan made of steel or on a stone.

• darnoc, what set-up do you use in the egg to cook it on the screen?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    one of the pizza joints near me makes all their pizzas on screens, partially cooks them to let the bottoms set up, and then slides them onto the pizza oven floor. seems to work fine for them. the screen helps them to get consistantly round pies that fit into the box. they are not really neded, but they make them very consistant. for me, i really dont care if they come out round, they have character. pizza pans are another alternative, i like variety and dont follow the same recipes to many times before changing things.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Temp475/500 and put screen on top of plate setter.Cook 8/10 minutes if a thin crust is used.As usual check for browned edges on dough.If you want a crisp bottom and chewey inside a stone on top of the plate setter is the way to go.

• darnoc, I appreciate your help. I plan to cook a pizza this evening using a thin crust. I will try cooking this one on a screen that is on top of the plate setter without the stone, at 475*/500*, and see how that works for me. After thinking about my pizzas, I know I've been using way too much cheese on them, so that's another change I plan to make on this one. Cheers.
  • fishlessman, I see, that's interesting. I'm like you, I don't care whether mine are round or not. But so far, I haven't used any raw dough and the shape is already formed. Maybe later, after I get better at cooking these things.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Good luck.Thats a mistake many people make by putting too much on the pie.

• Darnoc
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    How did your pie turn out? You will have to learn how to make your own dough from scratch.Many of the guys on this site can help you and you will find that is a challange to make the perfect crust.Enjoy your Egg .

• BajaTom,[p]Have to say that there are more than two ways to move a pizza to your egg or oven. The Super Peel uses very little flour and no cornmeal, unless that is what you like.[p]Gas
    [ul][li]superpeel video[/ul]
  • darnoc, my wife didn't hear me when I said I'd cook a pizza, so I haven't cooked it yet. Maybe this evening. Anyway, when I do, I'll post my results. Cheers.