Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

123's of hot wings

Options
JQuinn
JQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been wanting to do hot wings for the longest time. with the up coming football season I want to have it perfected.
How to prep? I heard of cornstarching them some how to have crispy skin????? true?
how to cook indirect direct?
time/ temp?
When to sause? after cook and toss in a bowl and serve?
what is the best hot sause?
If anyone hear is from atlanta. I like the flavor of 3 dollar wings? so anything that comes close to there wings. Or the wings on international market on buford hwy by the pony.
thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• JackGT
    JackGT Posts: 64
    Options
    JQuinn,
    others have had great success with the Dizzy Pig method, which you can find on their site. With tailgating season nigh upon us, I'm dying to try that as well.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    JQuinn,[p]Grill direct at 350 or so (even if frozen, it just takes longer). Apply sauce in last 10-15 min, turning frequently. Experiment with different sauces, whatever you like. Personally, I don't care for the corn starch method, but that doesn't mean you won't. [p]Woody54
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    JQuinn,[p]I cook them Direct on a raised grid at like 300 degrees dome temperature or so. Probably for like 1.5 hours or more. I think I like my wings more "well" done so I tend to cook them longer than most people. It is a mouth feel thing to me. I don;t like the really fatty wings. You can see in this pic I only cut the tips off. I think they look better this way. But I prefer to eat them when they are segmented. That way you can trim off that "web" of skin, to get rid of some of that fatty stuff. [p]Right after they are done and still hot, I toss in a bowl to lightly coat with a 50/50 mix of butter and Franks hot sauce, with some tobasco for a little heat. Let set for a couple minutes, then toss again, and serve.[p]E[p]P4140002.jpg[p]P4140003.jpg[p]P4140005.jpg
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    JQuinn,
    Honestly i have tried wings just about anyway you can try them and by far my favorite method is to smoke them low at about 250 for about an hour or so with your favorite smoke and a little Tsunami spin or whatever rub you like then i fry them crispy to finish them of then put on my hot sauce. this gives them the smokey flavor but the crispy skin that i prefer and they honestly fall off the bone. During college football season i am constantly cooking them for the crowd that i hang with and if i miss a weekend i hear about it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    UGAVET,
    i like them smofried also, texas pete dipped and some blue cheese dressing with more bluecheese added. chefrd's are good also, but i do like the fried skin

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    JQuinn,[p]<<<How to prep? I heard of cornstarching them some how to <<<have crispy skin????? true?[p]I have never tried cornstarching them. With my method you don't have to. The wings come out with very crispy skin and are very moist and fall off the bone tender.[p]<<<how to cook indirect direct?[p]My method is direct.[p]<<<time/ temp?[p]Time: 1 hour - read my method for temp.[p]<<<When to sause? after cook and toss in a bowl and serve?
    <<<what is the best hot sause?[p]If you sauce them you should either do it after the cook tossed in a bowl or at the very last minute or two during the cook. I don't normally sauce. My favorite seasoning is to sprinkle Dizzy Pig - Jamaican firewalk rub on the wings prior to cooking. Love that stuff.[p]My method:[p]Start fire and get it blazing!!!! 700+ degrees. Let the egg heat up very well. Leave it blazing hot for at least 10-15 minutes to heat up the ceramic.[p]Put wings on directly over the flames on the standard cooking surface. No platesetters, firebricks or other contraptions. (I do not cut the wings up - leave the drum and wing sections together - and usually leave the tips on).[p]Work quickly getting the wings on the grill. After getting them on - CLOSE up the egg. Close the bottom damper completely and put the rain cap on the top. That way there will be no flames to burn the wings only very high heat from the ceramic to crisp up the skin and seal in the juices.[p]Let sit untouched for 15 minutes. At this time the temp should have dropped to about 350-375 degrees. [p]Open the bottom vent fully and remove the rain cap.[p]Open the lid carefully to avoid flashback.[p]Turn wings over and install daisy wheel top and set openings to maintain 375 degrees.[p]Flip wings every 15 minutes until done. (I usually cook them 1 hour).[p]Wings will have a very crispy skin and will be extremely moist and fall off the bone tender.[p]I will NEVER cook wings any other way again and believe me I've tried every method known to mankind.