Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip newb needs guidance

Options
kjed
kjed Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stopped by my butcher today, and he had tri tips. Well, I've never done a tri tip before, and the only suggestion given to me by the butcher was, "cut it against the grain." Okay, duly noted. Can anyone here give me good cooking suggestions? Are tri tips good when cooked with the TRex method, or should I do something different? [p]Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kjed,
    I love tri tip.
    I would dry rub or marinate several hours before the cook and let come up to close to room temp before starting cook.
    I like mine TRex style and pull at 130-135 depending on the size and tent with foil to rest. I also use true TRex and rest after the sear before roasting to desired temp. Try not to cook above Medium-Rare. As the butcher said, cut across the grain and watch the grain as it shifts at times.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    kjed,
    I grill tri tips alot. I usually do them direct at around 500. I season with DP cowlick or a Montreal steak seasoning. I cook to an internal temp of 135 and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut across the grain so it will be tender. The Santa Maria rub is Salt, pepper, & garlic salt. Good luck, Tom

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bajatom,
    I do mine like Tom, and flip it over after 15 minutes. -RP

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    kjed,[p]I hot-tub for an hour. Rub with evoo, salt and DP Cow Lick. T-rex, or if you are running short on time like I was last time, just sear and place on a well elevated rack and shut her down. 5 minutes a side after 90 sec/side sear brought me to 125 internal. After 10 minute rest it was perfect med-rare. mmmmm[p]Ed
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    kjed, Bout the same as everyone else, except I haven't tried the hot tub. I pull mine at 125° though. I also slice real thin diagonaly at about a 15 to 20 degree angle. You get some real nice wide medallions doing it that way. Fork tender too!!

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    kjed,
    I will try and paste one.
    Richard Miller aka "Morro Bay Rich"[p]
    2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows [p]
    Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt [p]Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl [p]Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil [p]Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl. [p]Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain. [p]This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find. [p]I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.[p][p]
    Apple smoked

• EggMaster
    Options
    kjed,
    Here is one I did last week with some decent pictures. I've cooked a tri-tip almost every week for more than a year. HTH.

[ul][li]Tri-Tip[/ul]
  • kjed,[p]Try this marinade. In my old smoker ($60 Brinkman), I did a wet cook with the left over marinade in a bowl above my bowl of coals. Add water to the marinade and the marinade boils during the cook. Add water to prevent it from drying up. I cooked it 7 hours at 210 degrees, but I don't trust the thermometer. Try this marinade, it rocks and it's super easy![p]1/2 cup tomatoe juice
    1/2 cup kikoman soy sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1 tsp. pepper
    Using a garlic press, press a few chunks of garlic into it or just chop it up real fine.[p]Blend it up, marinade it for as long as you can in a gallon size zip lock. I have yet to have tri tip any better, but I'm hoping to duplicate my results in the egg, or get better results.[p]Have fun!
    Toby

• kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with my original plan, after seeing Photo Egg's post, which was to go with a traditional TRex method. I coated with olive oil, rubbed with DP Raising the Steaks, and put on lava coals for 90 seconds per side, removed and tented with foil for 20 minutes. Brought the dome temp to around 400, and cooked, dome open, 5 minutes each side. After another 5 minute rest, I sliced thin, against the grain, at a bias. Very juicy, came to about a medium doneness, if I could do it again, I would have done 4 minutes per side. Meat was tender and very flavorful. I'll give myself a B for my first try.[p]Thanks to all for helping out![p]Keith