Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry wood

Options
smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How is cherry for smoking?? Use a lot of apple and like it. Came into a bunch from friend cut down tree

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    smokinsop,
    That dang Juggy got me cooking cherry wood bacon. Cherry wood is good.
    bacon1.jpg[p]Just about samich time.[p]bacon2.jpg[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    smokinsop, I agree with Mike - I really like cherry and prefer it over apple and pecan!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    smokinsop,
    As the gentlemen below mentioned, cherry is belly belly good. I use it a lot, and really enjoy the flavor. Not as strong as oak or hickory, but it seems more robust than the other fruit woods. It does seem to darken your meat pretty hard if you use too much, or put the meat on too early after the wood. But the right amount of smoke can give you a real nice mahogany color. [p]If you can get the heartwood it'll be even mo betta. [p]Beers, and happy smokin.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • smokinsop
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    What temp you cook bacon at? Indirect for sure. Last I tried I burnt the sh$% out of

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    smokinsop,
    400 indirect. It is a tough cook. So much smoke, great if you can get it done. Make sure you have a drip pan, so no fires.[p]Mike

• smokinsop
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks. Will try tomorrow night. Bacon and tomato sandwiches with tomatos picked an hour before

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Don,
    I looked back at my first post about smoking bacon and it was dated 6-20-00 so I guess you might say a "piggy or two" has passed this way...[p]My best results have been using thick sliced, name brand bacon.[p]I then mist using a Misto with apple juice.[p]Then with my plate setter inverted with foil on the bottom to prevent burn ups from the grease I smoke using 2 to 3 handfuls of hickory chips at 220 for an hour or so, but misting and flipping after 45 minutes. This isn't rocket science on my part, but it works great and you soon learn the "look of great to be" bacon.[p]I then stack the strips individually with strips of waxed paper to form a "log" which I further wrap with a larger sheet of waxed paper and secure with a couple large rubber bands and place in a freezer ZIPLOC bag and freeze. [p]My main useage of these are to cut one slice at a time into "bacon bits" size pieces for every pizza I have made for years! It adds taste galore and a tad of hickory smoke that even people who don't care for the smoke taste find incredible. Hope that helps! Ron

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokinsop
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks I think I'll try one batch at 350 and one at 250 with cherry. Use thick pepper bacon from Sams. Will let you know
    Don