Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any directions for cooking jerky on the Egg ( temp and approx times)

Options
BeantownEgger
BeantownEgger Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can't find any detailed descriptions. There is quite a discrepancy between timeframes. some say 20 min some say 12 hours. WTF thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    BeantownEgger,
    I have cooked jerky a few times on a LBGE and I shoot for a temp. of 160-170 deg. I started with 2-1/2 lbs of meat (London broil)and it cooked for about 10 hours. I used a raised grid as high up in the dome as I could get with some fire bricks and I hung the pieces from a 14" cooking grid using toothpicks. Good stuff... didn't last long with my 14 y/o son around.
    Good luck.
    wrobs

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />BeantownEgger,[p][p]
    I do it indrectly over a plate setter and raise the grid up with some bolts. If you have a Guru, you can fool it to hold 160. -RP

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    BeantownEgger,
    I'm using this to smoke anything @ low temps. Take a 2 or 3 pound coffee can and cut the top and bottom out. Clean out the egg. Set the can on top of the grid where the ashes fall through. Fill the can about 1/2 way with used lump. Light the lump and let it get going. Open the bottom vent all the way. This will keep your fire from going out! Close the daisy wheel nearly completely, but enough to breathe.(I use Mickey T's #1 temp ring, but that's probably not critical) Add chunks, then a cool plate setter and food to be smoked. When you close the Egg, your temps should be very low and will creep up slowly if you keep it shut. If temps get too hot, move your jerky to a dehydrator to finish, or open up the egg, and let it cool and start again. You may have to add lump if you go a long time, but adding lump lets the egg cool down while it is open. I love this method, and learned it from forum member HolySmokes. [p]I recently did chipotles this way. My egg smelled so unbelievably good after a day of cold smoking that I hated to cook on it.[p]Time are going to vary greatly due to thickness of your jerky and realtive humidity. I always finish jerky in a dehydrator to make sure it's dry. [p]As for meat, eye of round works great.

Have fun, Scott
    [p]

• AZRP,[p]How do you fool the Guru to maintain 160 degrees?[p]Howard

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Howard,
    Set the meat temp for 160, clip the meat probe and pit sensor together. and start it in the ramp mode. The Guru thinks it is holding the meat at 160. The proceedure is in the Guru's owners manual. -RP