Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Help For Small

Options
Charly
Charly Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a half turkey breast indirectly on my new small and the v-rack from my large is to big to allow full dome closure.I thought about using 4 fire bricks in a |_| pattern and buying another 13 inch grid to place on top with a drip pan sandwiched in the middle.Please let me know if I'm on track with the fire bricks and grid or if I should look for a smaller v-rack or if there is another setup that would work.Any help would be as always,greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Charly,[p] Sounds like you're getting the idea. With Eggin', half the battle (and half the fun) is experimenting with the setup to figure out what works best for you. The firebricks should work just fine. in fact, that's the setup I use (at a larger scale) in my large BGE when I do pulled pork. Just make sure there is enough room around the outside of the bricks to allow for proper airflow through the BGE.[p]MikeO
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Charly,[p]Another possibility is to use a pie pan (round like your Egg) as the drip pan and provides indirect cooking. Anything used to support the meal over the pan serves the purpose of the cook.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Spin,[p]This is the setup I use on my small for indirect - just a drip pan and some sort of rack. I usually forgo the firebricks to allow more room in the small for more food. Also, I've been too lazy to ever pick up bricks.[p]I agree, though, that whatever works for the cook is the way to go...[p]Cornfed
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Its good to see you survived the New Years fest. Sounded like a blast.[p]Spin

• Charly
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.I use a pie pan/chicken sitter combo for whole chickens,it's the perfect size.I thought about the pie pan for the turkey breast but couldn't figure out what to use to suspend it out of the pan for complete heat circulation.Cornfed,what do you use for a rack with your pie pan,is it something you bought or rigged up?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Charly,
    Here is my indirect setup for the small.
    On the bottom, I use two 6x6 clay-baking tiles and one broken tile with half on each side. Next I use the standard throwaway aluminum 9x13-baking pan. The rack is a normal adjustable V-rack. In order to make it fit, I bend in all four sides of the pan until it sits on the tiles, and then I reshape it. The V-rack is almost flat only raised about a notch or two on one side. The whole setup is thin and allows for the most food to be cooked indirectly.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Charly,[p]As Spin said, a pie pan will work fine. And so will any smaller pan that fits the small BGE.[p]Fritz
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Charly,[p]Actually, my setup is kind of silly. More often than not, I cook foods direct (steaks, pork chops, etc). The food I most often cook indirect are ribs. To do the indirect ribs, I place a rib rack like the one pictured here (A):
    racks.jpg[p]I usually place the rack in the cheap aluminum pan and then the ribs an inch or so off the bottom of the pan in the rack.[p]When I needed something for the pork loins the other day when I decided to do them indirect on the day of the cook, I simply turned the rack upside down and put it in the pan. I figured, fortunately correctly, that since the loins were pretty big and meaty, the bottom of the upside down rib rack would provide enough of a "floor" for the loins while also giving a good amount of airflow for smoke (I love the smokey flavor).[p]This was very successful for me and, understanding that many a self respecting chef would scoff at my setup, I plan on using this jury-rigged solution for future indirect cooks like pork loins.[p]Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]...I suppose I should add that the rib rack I have is smaller than the one in the picture. Its structure is similar, though, and that was the first representative picture I could find in a pinch.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Spin,[p]"Its good to see you survived the New Years fest. Sounded like a blast."[p]In answer to your first sentence - barely. To your second - indeed it was! We had some great food, music, entertainment, and, ahem, a beer or two...[p]Most of all, though, we had great company. Two of my brothers, several cousins (even in laws), and my finest friends were in attendance. A great way to celebrate the new year![p]Hope you enjoyed yours, as well.
    Cornfed

• Charly
    Options
    I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone who shared their ideas and methods with me on my post last night about an indirect setup for a small egg.I also wanted to share this with anyone who might be interested.I went to the BGE store here in Atanta at lunch time and lo and behold they carry an adjustable v-rack for small eggs.I'll be trying mine out tomorrow.