Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs Qusetions

Options
JQuinn
JQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done the 3 - 1 -1 method before but I was thinking about putting some ribs on at lunch time while I am home during my lunch hour and cooking them indirect for 5 + hours in stead of foil.
Will my ribs be less tender? should I foil at the start and cook them like that indirect?
Should I just bring down the temp?200- 225. I usally cook them 311 at 250-275.
thanks all
Jason

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    JQuinn,
    The last ribs I cooked were 6-0-0. Done indirect at 250 or a little less. These ribs were rubbed and put on at about 1 in the afternoon. I was out doing errands, getting caught in traffic, talking to friends and didn't get home until 7. The egg was still ticking along at about 240. I thought they'd be overcooked but they were great. I had some rib tips on too and they did get a little overdone.[p]Go for it.[p]Paul

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    JQuinn,
    I do them that way all the time, indirect 250 dome temp, spares take 5-7 hours. -RP

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    As others have said, you can certainly get great results this way. I do about 50% of my non-competition ribs this way. I've found that the best texture (for our tastes) is achieved when the internal temp of the rib meat is between 198°-202° measured with a Thermapen between the bones of an average rib (not the thickest one, nor the thinnest). This narrow range yields a texture that is moist and firm, yet pulls from the bone easily. These temps also apply whether you are cooking 'em slower at ~250° or on a hotter fire at ~325°, for a shorter time, of course. Pulling it before 198° will not be as tender and over 202° will start to dry out EXTREMELY quickly. As I said, this is for OUR tastes and you can pull 'em off any time.[p]Let us know how it goes![p]Jim[p]
  • JQuinn,
    Preparation time: 10 mins
    Cooking time: 40 mins
    Standing time: 5 mins [p]
    Ingredients [p]2 pounds spareribs [p]1/4 teaspoon crushed dried basil [p]1/4 teaspoon ground cumin [p]1/4 teaspoon chili powder [p]1 cup barbecue sauce [p]1/4 cup chopped peeled onion [p]3 tablespoons light corn syrup [p]2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce [p]2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped [p]2 teaspoons lemon juice [p]1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce [p][p][p]Directions
    Arrange spareribs in glass baking dish with the small ends toward the center. Sprinkle with basil, cumin and chili powder. Cover with wax paper and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Microwave on MEDIUM until ribs are cooked thoroughly, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes.[p]Meanwhile, combine barbecue sauce, onion, corn syrup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce.[p]When ribs are done, spread sauce on top; microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for an additional 5 minutes to heat sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. [p]
    Serving Size: 8