Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping thirdeye re: pastrami

Options
Eggin in Peoria
Eggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thirdeye, was thinking about trying out your pastrami recipe (we are a big fan of your smoked salmon). any hints, tips or suggestions that aren't posted on the site. [p]thanks in advance.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]I did make a minor change in the soak times earlier this year by extending the minimum time from 7 hours to overnight. This came about for two reasons. First, I have tried "Guest Pit Boss" Bobberquer's method (on the same page) several times and found that on occasion I really like the 48 hour soak times he uses, especially when serving the pastrami as a main dish instead of on a sandwich. Secondly, I have noticed that some brands use very strong brines. Other than that, I can't offer any additional tips.[p]I have posted the recipe for the Montreal Rub (see the rub page) I use as many folks reported not being able to find the store-bought variety. It is kind of a hassle to make at home because it calls for dried and flaked items, which I special order, and you need to use a spice (coffee) grinder to make it. I do use it a lot, so it is worth it for me. On the brighter side, I received some samples of Dizzy Pig's new Canadian-style rub "Raising The Steaks" from Chris and have used it along with the other spices on my pastrami and it is very good. If it is not available now it will be soon.[p]I hope you try a pastrami or two. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the advice. I am supposed to get a dizzypig order tomorrow that includes RTS so I can give that a shot. I will also up the soak time as well - do you use the potatoes as suggested? [p]I'll try to remember to post a follow-up. [p]Tim

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]What good timing with your DP order!! [p]Yes, I have tried the potatoes and the #1 glaze. Even though I am not a big fan of glazes and sauces, I am glad I did. [p]Bob is very serious when it comes to cooking pastrami, and since I don't ask too many folks if I can post their recipes, I followed it to a tee. I figured I owed him that.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery