Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing an EGG

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I have been reading the forum entries and all point to buying the largest egg. I am on my own right now but don't want to be compromised in the future. I would say that the choice is between the medium and large.[p]Do you have any rules of thumb or points that would help? Price does matter, but not at the sake of the future.[p]Would you suggest the wheeled base? (They look tippy.) or the table with insert? It also looks like the grill grabber would really help.[p]
Thanks,[p]Steve

Comments

• MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Steve, most of the forum members like (and prefer) the large. [p]But after over a year, I am 100% satisfied with my medium - it will make anything (except a large turkey) that the large will make. Great temp control - check out the link - all cooked on a medium!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Q%2520setup.jpg
    <p />Steve,
    You could do the same thing I did when that same problem was mine. BTW, you can make a table very inexpensively and will enjoy it much more than a wheeled base.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Steve,[p]I can appreciate your viewpoint and will attempt to offer some advice.[p]All of the BGEs (mini to large) cook the meal much the same with the understanding that each can only hold so much lump charcoal (cooking time) and each can hold only so much meat for the cook. I say much the same as the smaller the Egg, the closer the meal is to the fire. With a fast cook that requires a sear, the closer the meal is to the fire, the better the end result.[p]Your choice must consider the range of meals you may intend to cook. Grilling and roasting for one is possible with the mini. The small can do a small low and slow cook to small pizzas. The medium can handle larger and longer cooks. The large can do bread, short and long cooks with 15+ lbs of meat. Both the medium and large can cook multiple items with the large holding more.[p]Both my large and small Eggs reside in a nest on the deck (the mini is housebound until use). The nest is not flimsy and allows me to move them about as needed. Here in Southern NJ we get some snow and a lot of ice storms. Moving the cooker to just outside the deck door is very useful.[p]Spin

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Steve,
    I just got my BGE (large), and although I would love to have a cool wheeled table, I'll have to wait for my bro-in-law to be between projects, and be bribable. I strongly recommend the "nest"---as long as you are on an even surface that's level (wood deck or concrete patio, etc.) it is very stable...more importantly, it also gets it up to the height you want to work at. I also got the optional side tables that fold down when not in use..very handy. Don't forget the daisy wheel, or better yet, the new improved dual function top. The rest of the gizmos can be had as your fortunes dictate---get the ash tool though. The thermometer that goes into the Egg top is mando. Good luck!