Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Left over chicken

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin everybody............[p]I have some left over chicken and my wife wants me to make a pasta dish with it. Like chicken/brocolli/alfredo sauce. Any ideas? I realize pasta is not an egg item but there are a bunch of good cooks ou there, with a world of knowledge more than I. I checked the archives and recipe sections. Zilch![p]Thanks,[p]Mick

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]I cooked this at Eggtoberfest 2000,it goes well with pasta.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Chicken Cacciatore[/ul]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p] Quick, simple alfredo sauce:[p]1 c. heavy cream
    3 tbs. unsalted butter
    2/3 c. parmesan cheese (grated)
    salt and pepper
    grated nutmeg[p]Bring 2/3 cup of the cream and butter to a boil over medium heat, then simmer until thickened (about a minute). Add cooked, drained, hot pasta to the sauce and toss to coat the noodles. Add remaining cream, cheese, salt and pepper and nutmeg (a little nutmeg can go a long way . . .). Continue tossing until it the cream thickens slightly. Serve immediately with more grated cheese.[p]You could heat up the chicken and steam the veggies and add at the last minute -- give it a toss to coat them as well . . .[p]My personal preference for leftover smoked chicken is "Mexican Lasagna," a layered chicken-tortilla-green-chile casserole based on a recipe from the El Paso Chile Company's cookbook. . .

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    MikeO,[p]
    Perfect. :>)[p]Thanks,[p]Mick

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    MikeO,
    I would sure like the "Mexican Lasagna" recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing it! Coming from So. Calif., it sure sounds good! Kansas at times is lacking some of the refinements you find easily on all three coasts! (I threw the 3rd one in for "King O Coals"! He gets a little grouchy if you forget the Gulf coast!) :-)))
    Also the alfredo sauce sounds great! We'll have to try it![p]Thanks & Happy New Year![p]Dr. Chicken

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Here you go:[p]From the El Paso Chile Co. Cookbook:[p]6 long green chiles 8 c. (approx) smoked chicken, chopped
    3 tbs. olive oil 2 c. corn oil
    3 c. chopped onion 24 6" corn tortillas
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced 4 c. grated cheese (combo of mexican cheeses is good)
    2 tsp. ground cumin 16 oz. sour cream, whisked until smooth
    1 1/2 tsp. oregano, crumbled
    2 c. chicken broth
    2 c. tomato-based salsa
    2 tsp. salt[p]Roast, peel, and coarsely chop peppers (should be about 1 cup).
    Warm the olive oil over low heat. Add onions, garlic, cumin and oregano. Cook covered, stirring once or twice, for about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, salsa, green chiles and salt. Raise heat. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat slightly, then cook briskly for about 20 minutes uncovered. Let sauce cool to room temperature. Reserve two cups and combine the rest with the chicken.
    Warm about 1" of corn oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Using tongs, immerse the tortillas one at a time in the oil then transfer to absorbent paper. The tortillas should only be in the oil a few seconds each. The oil should be hot enough to soften the tortillas, but not hot enough to brown or crisp them.
    Arrange 8 of the tortillas overlapping in the bottom of a 10x14 pan. Spread half the chicken over the tortillas. Arrange 8 more tortillas over the chicken. Sprinkle half the cheese over the tortillas and cover with remaining chicken mixture. Arrange the final 8 tortillas on top of the chicken mixture. Cover with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the sauce. Spread the sour cream on top of the cheese.
    Bake about 45 minutes at 350F or until the dish is bubbling, crisp around the edges and the topping is set.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    MikeO,[p] Oops, looks like some of the ingredients ran together. Still looks intelligible, though . . .[p]MikeO
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    MikeO,
    Thank you very much! I will try this with frozen smoked turkey we've got in the freezer! I've got a recipe for enchiladas that are simular to this. Would you like it?
    No tomato sauce in it at all! But, lots of heavy cream if I remember right! One of the guys I deer hunt with fixes it, and it is Eggcellent! If you don't mind my putting it that way! :-)))[p]Gotta go check the ribs! Got two batches going on the Med. & the Large! Two different varieties! Both smell goooood![p]Thanks again Mike![p]Dr. Chicken

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p] Sure. Send that recipe on over![p]MikeO