Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best 1st time ABT recipe?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ashamed to admit it, but after a year of Egg ownership, I still have never made ABT's! But tonight, I'm taking care of that.[p]So, I've seen a handful of ABT recipes here on and off over the past year or so. Is there a particular one that I should start with as my first? Should I just go really basic (nothing but jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon wrap), and then experiment from there? Or is there one ultimate ABT recipe that everybody just raves about?[p]Thanks in advance![p]Mike

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    like anything - everybody has their favorite, but perhaps instead of not waiting to reach the holy grail on your first time why not just try what appeals to you!!! Personally I like a meat stuffing in the boat along with the cream cheese and then bacon wrap. For a quickie try a small smokie sliced length-wise, or pulled pork, or shrimp. Once I made some using chili-dog sauce that were great! And iifin you want to add a kick then dust the final product before cooking with your favorite Dizzy Pig rub - or the rub of your making. My point is there are endless possibilities and time is wasting!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I always add a little smokey coctail weiner with the cheese and bacon...I also give them a coating of bbq rub....mmmmmmm

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    abt.jpg
    <p />Eggtuary,
    I do mine by splitting the pepper lengthwise then scrape out the seeds with a melonballer, leave the stem on. Then I fill it with cream cheese and press a raw shrimp into it. I buy the thinnest sliced bacon I can find and starting at the tip of the pepper, wrap the bacon around it slightly overlappng each time. Using large jalapenos, one slice works perfect and ends at the stem end. Then I put a good coating of Raging River on them and park them in the fridge for a couple hours. I cook them on a raised grid, indirect, plate setter legs up with a foil drip pan at 350 dome temp for about an hour. I don't turn them, just leave them cheese side up and using tongs, move them around a couple times so they cook evenly, you want them crispy. -RP

• RRP
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    there's another alternative - you can leave the stems on like AZRP says, or you can cut the stem off right under the "doily-looking" thing. Then I pin the bacon with a study toothpick. That keeps the bacon in place, gives you a nice handle and lastly you can eat the whole pepper. - But again - there's no right or wrong method - just egg a batch of them and you'll kick yourself for waiting one year to try ABT's! BTW I make a large batch at a time and then refrigerate the cooked goodies for a daily snack with a quick nuke in the microwave. They will last a couple weeks easily!

• RRP
    Options
    IMG_1083.jpg
    <p />dummy here forgot the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!

• chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I say leave the seeds and veins in every fourth or fifth one for an eggciting round of Mexican roulette!

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I have made two varieties I really like. Cream cheese and crab - just bought canned lump but I'm sure the fresh would be outstanding. The other is a little piece of raw salmon topped with cream cheese. Both are wrapped in bacon. I tried prociutto once but found it a bit too salty for my liking. Good ole bacon suits me fine. Eggperiment and enjoy. [p]Tim

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm making mine for the first time today too! I've had my BGE for 2 years now and I can't believe I didn't try this recipe yet, or join the forum until a few days ago. I'm kicking myself for that. I can't wait to try these bad boys!

I'm doing mine with a chicken sausage that has bacon and cheese in it already, I figure that will add to the bacony cheesey goodness.

-mojopin

btw, you guys on here are awesome :kiss:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RRP,
    Do you have a pic of how you do the toothpick? -RP

• RRP
    Options
    IMG_0645.jpg
    <p />AZRP, perpendicular to the boat as if they were outstretched oars! BTW I use good solid round toothpicks not the flat ones.

• Eggtuary
    Options
    mojopin,

Welcome to the Forum! Quick note: You posted on biggreenegg.net. Most people post on biggreenegg.com instead. Messages on the .com site show up both places, but those on .net only show up here. I just thought I'd better warn you in case you get frustrated because people never respond to you!

Good luck with your ABT's!

Mike
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    AZRP,
    I'm going to have to try shrimp next time. I didn't care for the Lil' Smokies. I tried making some without, and my wife and I liked them a lot better. But we love bacon-wrapped shrimp, so I'll bet that makes an awesome ABT![p]Thanks for the suggestion!

• Eggtuary
    Options
    chmoo,
    I had one or two I didn't get the veins out of, just to see how much hotter they were. Unfortunately, I failed to warn my older son. He got one, and it lit him up pretty good!

• Eggtuary
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,
    I saw a recipe one time that called for prosciutto. I'll bet I wouldn't like it too well. However, somebody used pancetta on theirs, and I might have to try that.[p]Crab sounds really good. I'm betting crab or shrimp would work really well. I'll have to try one or the other next time.[p]Thanks!

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]We like these treats with chopped pulled beef, finely chopped onion, SGH rub along with the standard cheese and bacon. Great treat for a Friday evening at a contest.[p]Dave[p]33MVC-018E.jpg