Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature gauge question

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have my BGE set up for indirect coking. What I need to do is raise
the temperature gauge up so it does not make contact with the meat. Are there any cons to raising this up? Does the gauge still read the same as it would if it was fully inserted? Thanks - Ray

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Ray,[p]I've pulled mine out several times in the past with seemingly no adverse effects at all. I cook on a medium egg and have been known to pack it pretty full. It really stinks when you THINK your cooking at 225 and thats really the internal temp of the meat thats in the 700 degree egg. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Ray, I keep my temp gauge out a little bit maybe an inch. I've not experienced any problems. Tim M has a picture of a gauge out and a piece of metal (I think) between the egg and the gauge maybe he'll post the picture.[p]CWM
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ray,[p]The tip of the gauge does the actual measuring, so spacing it out doesn't effect the reading. A paper clip works well (in a pinch) as does a wine cork for holding the gauge in place. On a low and slow cook even a plastic straw of proper length works nicely.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm1.jpg
    <p />Ray,[p]I agree that the thermometer needs to not be touching the dome of the Egg so that the plastic lens will not warp and allow moisture to enter it. The picture clearly shows that moisture did get into this one before I added the spacer - since the spacer the thermometer (new one) has been fine and no moisture at all has fogged it in 10 months (the pictured one fogged in 1 month when resting on the dome). Like Spin said, wine corks work as well as a piece of copper tube. This is a 1.5" piece of aluminum (a section of coke can would work too) bent into a U shape.[p]Tim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ray, I did two things recently. I drilled a hole through a wine cork and stuck my thermometer through it so it sits about an inch and a half off the BGE. Second I removed the clip underneath. I could not see that it was really serving any purpose and if pressed into meat my thermometer now pops out to show me that it is touching. Also, it makes it quite simple to move from my medium to my new mini and/or to test and adjust.